Monitor via headphones only

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Monitor via headphones only

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Weston Underwood
    Weston Underwood
    Participant

Is there an easy way to monitor headphones only and suppress audio via the main outs? I’ve tried PAFL which of course works but then it’s only a channel at a time and also dry.

I use the QU32 as an interface for my synths but recently I’ve been recording acoustic instruments and would like to monitor the performances with reverb on headphones.

I assume this is dead easy but I’ve looked in the manual and without starting on page one and working through I’m not sure I’m going to get the answer rapidly! Currently unplugging the main outs in desperation.

Sorry to be a newb.

Many thanks.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do you have a spare mix that you can use?

If so, just add whatever you want to hear to that, including the reverb, and hit the PFAL button for the master of that mix. This will allow you to adjust each instrument & FX volume in that mix.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do you have a spare mix that you can use?

If so, just add whatever you want to hear to that, including the reverb, and hit the PFAL button for the master of that mix. This will allow you to adjust each instrument & FX volume in that mix.

Then just turn the main out down when you don’t want it in the room.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Do you want the option that when you PAFL it will mute the main mix to
    your monitors?

In the set up menu under audio PAFL you can set to be additive so you can
    keep adding more channels and mixes to PAFL and listen to them all as the
    same time.

Profile photo of Weston Underwood
    Weston Underwood
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll have a go at that!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Another couple of options for monitoring in a studio/production setup with the Qu-32:

• Send the LR mix to a Matrix and use this to feed your monitors. That will allow you to keep the LR mix ‘flat’ and at a good level for mixing down to stereo (Line Out/USB), whilst giving you separate control of the monitor level, with processing and mute. Note that if you are mostly working on the ‘bottom’ layer, you could assign the Matrix mute to a SoftKey too.
    • Connect your monitors to the Alt Out and feed this with either the LR mix, a Matrix (as above) or the PAFL bus (if you also want PAFL to work for your monitors which can be really handy). As the Alt Out has a dedicated analogue level control on the surface right next to the headphone level, this means you can easily turn up/down both levels depending on whether you’re speakering or headphoning.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.