Monitor Split and Waves Together

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Monitor Split and Waves Together

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of noamraz noamraz 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

Hi Folks:

Is it possible to run a digital split for monitors and Waves Soundgrid at the same time? At the moment I have a T-112/IDR-48. I’m planning to add a T-80 and an IDR-0. If I use a pair of ACE cards for the split, will I be able to add a Waves card in the port B slot of the IDR-0 at FOH for Plug-ins/Recording, or do I need to use both card slots on the IDR-0 to run the system (one to receive the split and one for the surface to patch to)?

-thanks, Mark

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

You will need to use ACE in both Port A (for surface connection) and Port B (for the split) of the iDR0. In fact an iDR-16 would be a cheaper option and give you extra local I/O, but it’s your call.

You can plug an xDR-16 expander into Link 2 of the Port B ACE card, and fit the Waves card into the expander.

Another option is to use a pair of (upcoming) M-Waves Mark II cards, which we hope to ship by end of July. These add clock distribution over SoundGrid so can be used for both split and plugin processing applications at the same time. We will share more details nearer launch.

Hope this helps.

Mark Oakley
    Participant

Hi Nicola:

Thanks for the info. The iDR-16 makes sense for the FOH DSP; an ACE port is already built in. In the above scenario, the xDR16 would really just be a Port for the Waves card.

Great news about the Waves II card! I’ll be eagerly awaiting the launch of this new product. Ultimately I’m looking for a way to do FOH/Monitors, Waves Plug-Ins and Recording all at the same time. Hopefully the Waves II will let me accomplish this.

I’ve had my iLive since March, and it’s a fantastic product. I’ve even had people walk by, go “Whoa; nice board”, pull out their cell phones and take a picture.

-Mark

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Nicola,

adding clock distribution into M-Waves card is long missing and very welcome, thanks!
    good news to me and hope there is in the future more adopters to push the beauty of this (plugin) system.

I was an early user here in germany of this card and newer will back again.
    After reading a lot of Dante etc. and any other IP based audio it would be great to thinking about a new Card in the A&H Setup like AES67/Ravenna (Green-card).

Maybe is in the pipeline!?!?!!? if not, do it!

Greetz, Düsenklang

Mark Oakley
    Participant

One more question: I’m not clear on what kind of physical connections I would need to record from a Waves card to a PC. I’m guessing I would come out of the second Port on the Waves card with Cat 5e (or Cat 6?). Does my recording PC need a special interface, or just a standard Ethernet port?

-thanks, Mark

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

A standard Gigabit network interface will do. You can read more about the current Waves module here.

Mark Oakley
    Participant

I’m resurrecting an old thread here. I’ve been doing some studying up on the Waves card and it seems that it can handle a total of 64 ch. summed between Direct (recording) outs and Soundgrid plug-in channels. My original thought is that it would provide 64 Insert channels for plug-ins and 64 Direct outs for recording. If I wanted to have:

1: Digital Split for FOH/Monitors
    2: Up to 64 Direct Outs for recording
    3: Up to 64 Insert Channels available for Waves Plug-Ins

how would I achieve this? If any of the IDR Racks had a Port “C” for two network cards, this wouldn’t be so hard.

-thanks, Mark

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

Mark,
    What’s wrong with recording the Insert sends? So the same 64 signals go to Waves Multirack for processing and to the SG Driver for recording.

Mark Oakley
    Participant

On the Waves Webinar video 4, it seems that if you do it that way you will record the track processed with its’ Waves plug-in, instead of just the dry signal. Anyone here using the Waves card for Plug-ins/recording?

-Mark

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I believe you can choose to record either pre or post Waves processing.
    I’ll double check with Waves.

Profile photo of noamraz
    noamraz
    Participant

Hi

There is a option to recording either pre multirack and post multirack. It is done via the “SoundGrid Connections” window which is the patch bay in the Waves MultiRack SoundGrid host application.

Best regards,

Noam Raz
    Live Market Manager
    Waves Audio Ltd

Mark Oakley
    Participant

That’s fantastic news-thanks for checking this out Noam and Nicola.

I do have one final question: What’s the maximum type and length of cable that can be used between a pair of Waves cards for a digital split? At the moment I’m using 250 ft. of Cat5e TMB Proplex. From the “Ethernet Cables for SoundGrid Systems” pdf. on the Waves site:(https://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/live/soundgrid-cables.pdf) it says that the maximum length for Cat5e is 10m from card (I/O) to switch, but up to 70m with Cat6 STP. If I want to have my recording computer at FOH then I guess I’ll need to have a 70m Cat6 snake?

-thanks, Mark

Profile photo of noamraz
    noamraz
    Participant

Hi Mark

The maximum cable length between pair M-Waves cards is 70m for Cat6 STP.
    It is the same also for the maximum distance between the recording computer and the M-Waves card.

Best regards,

Noam Raz
    Live Market Manager
    Waves Audio Ltd

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.