Monitor outputs dropped mid show

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Monitor outputs dropped mid show

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of caseymglass caseymglass 10 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The only thing similar I’ve seen was an iLive that wouldn’t pass signal to LR from most channels. Three people checked it wasn’t user error, rebooted, etc. It worked again after the bus structure was reconfigured.

The problem you have seems to be at the output fader though.

Chris

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

I didn’t have the same problem but a screen freeze after i changed the Bus-Settings in a loaded show (not standard show)
    Lucky that the freeze happened before soundcheck! Just rebooted the console and had no further problems! But i think a problem like yours can cause by changing the bus-settings without using a standard show! So best will be if it isn’t too complicated to generate a new show from a standard template after a big Firmware update!

Profile photo of Mark McFarlane
    Mark McFarlane
    Participant

I didn’t change the bus configuration mid show, It was working, and then stopped. All I did during the show is ride LR+M mix faders and muck with EQ, comps, & gates, comps on the busses, and FX feeds.

FWIW, I, like many others, have had the screen freeze twice in the shop while reconfiguring the system. I’ve only had it for a week.

I can rebuild my show file, it will take a few hours. I hate to just stab in the dark like that, but I guess it’s good practice. The hard part isn’t building the setup the hard part is documenting what I’ve done already, I’ve made a lot of customizations. Maybe I can load my show file in the editor (offline) and use that as a reference to reprogram the board.

A&H’s official response : “There is not a known issue that would account for this, if the problem persists please contact your local dealer to arrange for a service of the desk and the audiorack, as the fault could be with either of these.”.

Frankly I’m disappointed, I consider this MI-level support. It doesn’t even appear that they looked at the show file. Behringer appears to be providing better support for the X32. As another aside, The same day I got the GLD112 I bought an X32 Rack as an emergency backup console to take to gigs, and for occasional small gigs with no FOH space. Kind of a pity to need to carry an X32 as backup to for the GLD.

I still have my 01V96. It’s been rock solid for a decade. Never had a single problem at a show. Was planning on selling it, maybe not now.

Disappointed,

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Well the GLD is still a NEW Product.. and sure there will be some more firmware updates to come for a more stable software and more functions! The Workaraound of the GLD is way faster than all the other boards! Even a X32 Standard isn’t that fast, same for X32 Rack! If you will wait so many years like your 01V96 grew now than i’m sure you wan’t have any problems with the GLD!

I’m sorry that i can’t help you but A&H will work on this if this will be a software/firmware bug! sometimes a Hardware problem can be the reason!

Mark McFarlane
    Participant

The only thing similar I’ve seen was an iLive that wouldn’t pass signal to LR from most channels. Three people checked it wasn’t user error, rebooted, etc. It worked again after the bus structure was reconfigured.

Chris,

By reconfigure, do you mean ‘rebuild the show file with the same bus structure’, or ‘change some random bus settings’,…

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Just changing some bus settings to force the FPGA’s to reprogram. The way it was explained to me on this forum is that the bus structure had been created with a problem when the template show was initially loaded. A normal reboot doesn’t reprogram the FPGA’s that control the buses, only telling them to change will do it. Essentially the reboots weren’t rebooting the thing that needed to be rebooted.

I’d highly doubt your problem is in the audiorack, that doesn’t account for the post-fader signal being missing at the console. It’s not something that tends to happen so I wouldn’t expect it to be a common occurance.

The interface freezes are a bit more prevalent, but I’ve only had it happen once in 17 months. It was during a soundcheck and switching it off and on again had it back up and running in about 40 seconds. I’ve heard from someone else that had one that it’s fine when running fewer inputs but when you start using more channels and more mixes it can cause the interface freeze. My freeze was when I was using more inputs and mixes than normal.

Audio isn’t affected, so if there was a facility to just reboot the user interface without switching off the whole console this wouldn’t really be a problem. Not having that facility moves it from the “doesn’t cause audio to stop” category to “does cause audio to stop” category.

Chris

Mark McFarlane
    Participant

Thanks Chris, you’ve been really helpful. Thanks for sticking in with me.

To clarify, are you suggesting that I change a bus (e.g. remove 2 aux buses, Apply, reinstate them, Apply)

a) during a show if I have problems, as an option to doing a reboot
    b) as a way to fix my current show file.
    c) something else?

I just tried removing 2 aux buses, then reinstate them, and was surprised that the console remembered where I had placed the faders for those 2 removed auxes and even remembered the custom names I gave them, but it did loose the mix assignments to those buses.

This would actually be a decent workaround if I could reprogram the FPGAs and solve the problem by removing the last 2 effects and reinstating them. I’ll seldom use effects 7 & 8 and I wouldn’t loose any monitor mixes,…

Also, note that I fixed the problem at the show by going to the processing page, hitting shutdown, flipping the power switch of then off again. I think that is what you are calling a’normal reboot’ which may not cause the FPGAs to be reinitialized.

Do you now if it is safe to remove and add effects in the middle of a song? Does the system drop audio during this process? I guess I can test.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

No problem 🙂

I’m not sure if the bus configuration thing is even relavent to the problem you’re having, but it’s the closest thing I have any experience of. It was on a iLive too. We’d need someone from A&H to give a bit more input on what gets reconfigured when you do certain things. IE, does changing the settings for 2 aux mixes reprogram ALL the FPGA’s or just the FPGA’s for those auxes. That may be really obvious to anyone who properly understands FPGA’s though, but that isn’t me.

FPGA’s were described by another user as “”state” until told to reprogram”. So it wouldn’t seem likely that a reboot would reprogram them, unless there’s a “reprogram” command built into the boot.

Chris

Mark McFarlane
    Participant

Some FPGAs always need to have the code/configuration reloaded on power up (not necessarily the same thing is reboot). I suspect there are some FPGA designs that can persist their code when power is down, or have the code in local flash or static memory from which they load the ‘last configuration’ from.

Changing show files seems like a sure fire way to reprogram the FPGA, and that is faster than rebooting. Maybe the workaround is to save a she, reload a default show, then reload your saved show. That’s only a few seconds and could be performed between songs.

I don’t know what chip the GLD has or I could research it more. First time I open it up I’ll check :).

I’ll ask in my support ticket.

Mark McFarlane
    Participant

Just a quick update, I have completed a few more shows with the GLD without any loss of aux outputs, but I have disconnected the ethernet control network and pulled the USB memory stick before each show, as a precaution. i’ll leave the network plugged in for the next few shows.

Mark McFarlane
    Participant

I also rebuilt the show file from scratch…

Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

In my experience the screen freezes I have had were related to networking issues especially when the console is on DHCP. Assigning an IP has stopped that. I have not had a screen freeze in over a year.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.