Monitor Output AR2412

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Monitor Output AR2412

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David J. David J. 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TonyM
    TonyM
    Participant

Hi All,

I use a fully loaded GLD80 for FOH and just added a QU16 (really wanted a QU24, but not available here yet and first 2 shipments sold out!) for smaller monitor jobs.

I would love to use the Monitor Port on the AR2412 and have it talk to the dSnake port on the QU16 and the QU recognise it as an input. This would save using outboard transformer splits and make a really useful package.

Tony.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Well.. this sounds pretty easy… and personally i would love to have this implemented because i have a Qu-16 and a GLD-80 as well! But i know that there are a few more question to be cleared….:¨
    – which console does control the Gain of the AR-Racks?
    – with a Qu-16 is the input-channel-count limited to 16Mono and 3stereo?
    – does the software even communicate between GLD and Qu-Series?
    – do we need an extension card to do so (Like Dante!) And if so.. is it possible to upgrade the Qu with DANTE?

at least i think it’s not really worth to have this possibility.. i rather get a second GLD and a DANTE Card for both consoles! Way faster to work with it and especially the awesome MIX-Buttons on the GLD and iLive are the best for monitoring!

Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

I too have a GLD-80 and a QU-16, and would like to se this implemented. Both consoles can individually talk to a AR2412 using DSnake. I had hoped to digitally split and share the DSnake. When the QU-16 was first released I remember seeing that this would be possible, has anybody tried it? I presume that the QU-16 would be the master as it doesn’t have controls to accept an external clock.
    Perhaps A&H could tell us if this will be available in a future update.

Dave

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think this is asking a bit much.

Eddy_current
    Participant

If you don’t ask………..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

the squeak gets the oil!
    I was told the AR2412 is a “dumb unit” has no clock pulse is what that refers to I suspect?
    I have tried most conceivable combinations of hubs, splitters, (and using 2 QU’s ) on the Ethernet line between the QU and QU and AR2412. I noticed on a hub that I tried, the 2 QU’s are seen by the hub, however one QU would fall off and say “no dSnake” when I tried using them
    I suspect there is a Hub or switch out there that would allow this. (cost is a factor here)
    I would like to see a data schematic flow of how this all works.
    Unfortunately there is only so much time in the day to experiment and carry on working to earn the coin.
    Maybe early days for the QU and future firmware may change something.
    The ME-1 (brilliant device) output from the AR2412 is limited from assignments within the QU

AN Idea!? maybe a dedicated firmware to turn the QU into a monitor / recording desk to run off the AR2412 monitor port?
    A bit like the old way of running the GL series desks in monitor mode?

cheers
    dave NZ

Eddy_current
    Participant

Thanks for the info Dave, looks as though you have exhausted all possibilities apart from firmware updates.
    +1 for the dedicated firmware idea to allow the QU-16 to connect to AR2412 monitor port to allow monitoring / recording

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

There is a way that GLD and Q16 could communicate. As a matter of fact they do already!
    dSnake and the Monitor output socket on the AR1412 seem to speak THE SAME LANGUAGE.
    Only the channel addresses are fixed and can not be changed at the moment.

Try this:
    Connect a Q16 to the Mon out via CAT5.
    Play any signal on the GLD (say, CD on Input 45/56) and route it to Mon 1 and 2 (in ME mode).
    Change all Inputs on the Q to dSnake.
    The signal appears on Stereo Channel 3, which is Input 21/22. Loud and clear.

This leads to the conclusion:
    The dSnake output routing protocol seems to be: Ch 1-16 to AR2412, Ch 17-20 to a linked AR0804, Ch 21-60 to the Mon output (in ME mode).

If A&H would unlock and provide digital input patch options (away from dSnake-1 to Input-1 and so on) on a Q console, we could have the FOH/monitor configuration everybody seems to be waiting for.

(edited for typos…)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok thanks for that!
    I suspected as much. I do not have a GLD only 5 of these little QU and waiting for a QU24

So are you saying that you are sending data from within the GLD on xyz channels and you can see that on ST3 on the QU from the output monitor port on the AR2412?
    I don’t have a GLD although who knows whats around that corner?
    I guess I could go and borrow one….

thanks

dave NZ

Profile photo of TonyM
    TonyM
    Participant

Thanks Guys!

I do not think it is asking too much. A form of the dSnake protocol already exists for the ME1. The QU just needs to recognise it as an “audio” stream. I am not a software engineer but would assume it cannot be to hard.

I would love another GLD and another DANTE card and more boxes, ideally I would love an iLive T112 with a idr64 and DANTE card and use my GLD for monitors. But the budget does not stretch that far nor do many of the show budgets.

I will try the hookup suggested this afternoon.

To elaborate, I can live with the pre amp gain set from the GLD, in the ME1 that is what happens. I can live with assigning the QU “inputs” from the monitor patch page on the GLD.

Tony.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Guys

Most of what has been said here regarding dSnake is correct. However, the problem with the setup described for connecting a GLD to a Qu is that the sampling clock of the two units will not be synchronised. If you were to play a high-ish frequency sine wave (say 5 kHz) from the GLD out of the Qu, you should hear a regular ‘click’ sound, which happens when the Qu has either repeated, or missed one audio sample (depending on whether the Qu clock is slightly faster or slightly slower than the GLD clock).

Sorry this message is not that helpful, but I didn’t want people to get too far with planning systems like this without knowing about the clocking issue.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

So whatever happened to this then? From the A&H QU-16 FAQ pdf.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

one word… na 2 words!

Marketing Politics

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So are the ME1’s clocked from the QU`16?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@scruffyd
    The FAQ you posted was part of a preliminary doc for distributors. None of the public documentation including brochure and User Guides ever mentioned this feature to the best of my knowledge, and the text was updated in subsequent FAQ docs ever since. Apologies if this was misleading. At the time of writing that document the hardware limitations with audio syncing weren’t fully understood, and much has changed since then – the same document said no Windows drivers and no Android apps!

@dhak
    Yes, ME-1s sync from the incoming stream, be it from a GLD, Qu, iLive ACE or ME-U.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.