Monitor / FOH Mic Split

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Monitor / FOH Mic Split

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MarkH
    MarkH
    Participant

I would like to have a system with two physical consoles, one at FOH and one for mixing monitors.
    How can a mic split or direct input of the input signal be sent to both consoles?

Can this be done with the DX Hub? All diagrams show an array of inputs, but I note an exclusion of multiple consoles on these diagrams.
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/DX-System-Guide-ISS_1.pdf
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ7_SLinkConnections_V1_2_0.pdf

It appears the input selection and channel assignment of the consoles is versatile and robust.

But can we connect the dots, having a system with two stage input boxes routing out to two consoles? Thanks for helping me sort this out.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

The document in the second link you posted shows direct links between consoles via the SLink.

Profile photo of MarkH
    MarkH
    Participant

Clearly, but linking consoles is not want I want to accomplish. I’m looking for two separate mix consoles from the same inputs. This can be done with an analogue split, but I’m hoping A&H accommodates doing this digitally.

Profile photo of Andrien
    Andrien
    Participant

In the future it is possible using Slink expansion card, but for now it is not possible I think. They also won’t have gain tracking but at least you can compensate using Trim.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

No, that’s not possible and won’t be in the way you want it instead the future either. The only possibility is to add a Dante card to both SQs or an SLink card to the monitor SQ. Then you can use DX168, DX32 or AR/AB series stageboxes to connect to the built-in SLink port of the monitor SQ and connect the FOH SQ with the additional card(s).
    Another way how you could use it NOW would be to use the built-in preamps of the monitor SQ (no DX/AB/AR!) and connect both SQ with the built-in SLinks.
    In all those cases the monitor SQ controls the preamps and the FOH SQ can only use Trim.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I was just listening to an A&H webcast and it looks like they show something similar to what you’re looking for: https://youtu.be/nC4Ac1k3Owk @ timestamp 27:40

Looks like an option card connects an SQ to several stage boxes, and then that SQ shares the audio channels with another SQ — probably only one console can control the actual preamps in the stageboxes, but you probably wouldn’t want two consoles fighting to control the preamps. If adjusting trim on the 2nd console for the shared inputs can’t accomplish what you want, I’m not sure what more you’re looking for… the only way to have separate preamps would be to do the split before the audio inputs get converted from an analog to digital signal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.