Monitor Dante on DVS During Recording – Yes or No?

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Monitor Dante on DVS During Recording – Yes or No?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

We have the Dante Brooklyn II installed in the IDR48 – and we have several Dante Virtual Soundcards. Can we monitor recordings during recording with just those two (plus the Dante Controller)? I’ve gotten different answers. Do we need to get more hardware?

So far, we’ve used Harrison Mixbus (on Windows 7 & Windows 10 – both ASIO) and Reaper (on Windows and Mac) and the recordings sound good, but only after the recording is finished. Any ideas?

best, john

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It has nothing to do with Dante or something in the iLive…

If the DAW does not allow an after recording listening while recording it is not possible.
    As far as I know no actual DAW software will do that. The approach is different these days…

Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

Thanks Steffen R,

So if I add another computer with a DAW that does only monitoring and no recording, would that work? If not, then perhaps the ME-U and ME-1 and its own Dante module might work. Or perhaps the Focusrite AM2?

best, john

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

If you mean INPUT monitoring to your DAW then yes you u should be able to do that ok if your DAW supports that, or you could use other software as you mentioned just for monitoring. Dante Via might be worth looking at so you can send Dante monitor outputs to your computers sound card etc.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Input monitoring is a different task than that discribed in the topic

Input monitoring is possible by splitting your Dante streams to different receivers or within any DAW software.
    The DAW should give you a visual feedback what is recorded and should send back the input signal to the configured outputs.

The problem is to listen to the recorded signal.
    As far as I know no DAW can do this at the moment.

EDIT: most DAW systems can have many outputs…
    if you send the track signal back to an output you can listen to that signal,
    but it is not the recorded signal it is the signal right before the recording in the mixer of the DAW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.