MixPad improvements

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions MixPad improvements

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cat's eyes cat’s eyes 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just getting started on using this, coming from years of StageMix (Yamaha) and x/m-32 mix (Behringer) usage.
    I’d love to see A&H step up their apps a bit to incorporate some of the features I use most often.
    1. Oscillator control – I use this every day to make sure wedges and IEMs are working and to make sure gain structure is ok. I walk to each monitor and put pink through it, moving from wedge to wedge to make sure they each sound “normal”. Not being able to do this wirelessly with my iPad will be a big problem.

2. Faster channel naming. I walk around in stage with my iPad checking monitor levels while (esp on festivals) checking patch and signal. Naming channels is slow because you can’t keep the keyboard on the screen while moving from channel to channel as you can on the other apps.

3. Scene access. This is essential. As I move around I need to save and recall scenes remotely. Very surprised this is not implemented yet.

4. OneMix for iPhone/Android. I assume this will be along shortly as the QU and SQ have this.

Time for A&H to catch up to the competition on their iOS apps! 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Ou expect scene access via iPad app when there isn’t even FX editing on the app? A&H sees no need for those things in the iPad apps. I’m not sure if they know that even the cheapest Yamaha and Behringer mixers can do all that in the app or if they just ignore it.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

ad 1) I use a test song instead of pink noise. This helps me to control the system in a more musical way. But ok, different persons, different workflows. and a system like the dLive should support differen workflows;-)
    ad 2) +1 from my side
    ad 3) not my part of the workflow but see my comment ad 1).
    ad 4) +1

ad FX) +10000;-)

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

@ Mr.X: you can route the oscillator to a input channel you then can control from the iPad. Although it is not as easy/convenient as on the Yamaha Stagemix, it is still a great way to do System checks. At least it works for me….

But I am totally with you, that MixPad could need some love:
    – FX editing
    – deep plugin editing
    – naming
    – patching

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@ Mr.X: you can route the oscillator to a input channel you then can control from the iPad. Although it is not as easy/convenient as on the Yamaha Stagemix, it is still a great way to do System checks. At least it works for me….

Good idea. So send that channel to all mixes and then mute/unmute each mix master?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Or just send it to the mix you want to hear. You can do that very fast and easy from the iPad.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is there mix on/off control per channel/per mix on the iPad app? I don’t want to use a fader – I like to verify that mixes are the same volume as well as tone when checking.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Your first post implies you were using MixPad already. But your last post leaves the impression you haven’t…?
    Download the app, start it in demo mode and you will see 🙏

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have used it, but not extensively. I will continue to work with it to see how I can do what I need to do.

What I have noticed is that in demo mode faders and mutes and other controls are static. Create a mix and then switch mixes and the faders don’t move. MixPad only seems to work properly when it’s connected to a Mix Rack.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes. All of that! Like the Qu has. Like many other brands have on all their systems.

At least a function to display to which output(s) a mix is routed would be nice, on the app as well as on a selected mix on the surface or Director, would be a start.

Profile photo of Netracer24
    Netracer24
    Participant

for sending pink noise, you could also assign the pink noise to an input and just bring that up for testing monitors. I do this often on the Dlive as well as some other desks I use. Works great

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I think too many improvements would affect purchases of surfaces.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think too many improvements would affect purchases of surfaces.

Lol! You’re kidding of course!?

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

ddff_lv, that is actually a thing I’ve been told by A&H representatives, not only why the app is so plain featurewise but also why the iLive’s app had to be paid for. This is of course ridiculous. Nobody would buy a DM48 only for use with an iPad. And even if someone plans in the likes of that, he would get a Windows tablet and just run Director on it for nearly full functionality, right? So, those features on the iPad app won’t hurt anyone.

Profile photo of cat's eyes
    cat’s eyes
    Participant

you can use Director with surface or touch laptop, in new version they add and improve support for wireless connection so you can keep all under your fingers 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.