Mixing on iPad, yes or no?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mixing on iPad, yes or no?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lbertinelli
    lbertinelli
    Participant

Hello all,

Anyone mix shows entirely from the iPad? Do you find it easy and quick to do it or do you prefer real faders? For gigs where there are multiple bands and multiple players changing constantly is it easy to do everything from iPad?

Thanks

Profile photo of gravyface
    gravyface
    Participant

I mix on an iPad Mini, but that’s just rehearsals and setting up “more me” for everyone. It’s pretty solid; I know a few FOH engineers that do and they’ve been happy with it.

I would go with a larger sized iPad if I was actually working with it on a daily basis for hours at a time. Would get a ruggedized case too.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have mixed with just iPads, but I much prefer faders.

I’d have thought that there was room for a QU16d with the brain of an SB but none of the analogue connections at the rear… (so just ADC for st3 and DAC for phones), reliant on dSnake connectivity…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I do it a lot. Obviously old school. Prefer faders but I’m not opposed to it. Lots of advantages. I have a lot of installs where they have bad FOH locations. Can’t hear well so it works great for that or in a temporary situation where there is not a good place to locate the mixer for the show. Also good for rehearsals and monitor setup.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I do it a lot these days. Nothing beats real faders to allow me to watch the act for visual cues and keep fingers on the controls, but most other things, I can do just as quickly on the iPad.

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

I’ve gone iPad-only for over a year now, wouldn’t go back.
    Mostly do smaller events and small/medium venue bands.
    Yes, I do like the tactile feedback of faders and knobs etc, but I have NO desire to go back to snakes, bulky consoles or being tied to one location most of the time.

I use a mix of ME-1’s and iPhone Qu-You apps for performers to control their own mixes – most welcome it and adapt quickly. Those with stereo IEM’s love it, but usually I will help them with panning the different channels they want to hear.

For larger events, I have a monitor mixer on their own iPad on stage tweaking wedge EQ, watching for feedback (if any) and assisting performers set up their own monitor mixes.

The only thing I miss is being able to easily ‘solo’ a channel to troubleshoot any issues.

That said, I’ve recently got a nice little Bluetooth transmitter that I plug into the headphone out. Lag isn’t an issue for trouble shooting, so have a couple of bluetooth IEM’s to try out.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

In my opinion – it depends.

I haven’t used an iPad that much, but I don’t think it can access all functions of the mixer.

Perhaps if you have set all of your parameters at the console and then use the iPad to “tweak” some settings and the overall mix, it should work fine. Just be sure you have a strong and secure, preferably dedicated, WiFi signal.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Coming from the analog beasts and now on a Qu-SB. I have adapted real quick. I usually use 2 Ipads to have 2 customlayers open all the time. Smaller gigs obviously.
    As far as I know all options are approachable via Ipad but I have no indepth knowledge of the apps that go with the physical mixers so I might be wrong.
    I’m using wireless headphones for monitoring.

The only real advantage from “real” fadres I can think of is the feel and the fact that you can have more eye-contact with the stage…

Giga

lbertinelli
    Participant

Thank you for the replies guys!
    I have an opportunity to buy a qu-pac and a ar2412 for a very little price but I never mixed with iPad only and was scared. I will give it a try. The major thing that i like about the qu pac and ar2412 is the portability, because i need to travel between italy and USA very often and I can fit everything in a 4U rack case

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

A QUPAC and 2412 won’t fit in a 4U case

lbertinelli
    Participant

Yes. One in the front and one in the back

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Since the Qu-SB came out, just about every function has been available on iPad.

The only things missing that I remember are:
    Spectrograph, which I can live without, having not had one in the last 30 years!
    Setting the (effects) delay time by any means other than tap, which I find is a pain.
    And as mentioned above, if you want headphones for PFL you need to sort out a wireless solution (or be next to the mixer, which again has alway been the case).

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m using wireless headphones for monitoring
    What sort of wireless headphones are you using Giga?

And does any one else have a prefered model to transmit from the desk direct into heaphones?

Cheers
    NZdave

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I use a Sennheiser IEM rig.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use a UHF IEM from Thomann.de (T75?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.