Mixing from home

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mixing from home

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jakes Olivier Jakes Olivier 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Durand
    Durand
    Participant

How could I log into the church’s av local network to use QuMix for adjusting the livestream audio ? I know the delay would be a challenge but no one present at the service has a clue how to use the mixer.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

maybe use the QuYou ap on a smartphone instead?

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

I just joined the forum because I have exactly the same question.

I already use Qu-You in the church, but this is linked to the local mixing desk’s wifi router. You have to be within range of the router to do this.

So the question is, can I access this router remotely via the internet (in effect, from anywhere in the world, while I’m viewing via a live broadcast?). Is this possible?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m going to say yes with either setting up a VPN and or port forwarding at each end
    you could get it to work.
    Someone with better networking skills could probably work you through it.

As you noted the control response delay would not be fun!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

When we were live streaming to Vimeo, the delay was around 20 seconds. Not realistic to control remotely. If you were to set up a VPN to the soundboard, I would also use it for a dedicated video feed to lessen the delay.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I have a surveillance cam at my workshop that I can check through an app on my phone. The app connects directly to the router through a dedicated port. Roundtrip for the signal is around 1 second even with high resolution video so I’d think it should be possible.
    I have no idea how one would make the router send the signals your iPad normally does.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The best way to connect remotely to a network is over a self-hosted VPN connection. (This is different from all the paid VPN services out there). Not only is it exponentially more secure than forwarding ports, it is more flexible. You should be able to run any software remotely that you can run while in the church.

If you don’t know how to set this up, ask your IT person to do it.

volounteer
    Participant

How does VPN help connect?

It might help with security but the actual connecting ???

How does a VPN connection tell the Qu to talk to the other end that is connecting to the network?
    AFAIK AH mixers do not support VPN so the mixer needs some other way to talk to the caller coming via VPN.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If the VPN is connected to the same LAN that the Qu is connected to, they can connect to the LAN through the VPN.

volounteer
    Participant

@garyh

cant they do that withOUT complicating things with a needless VPN?

What if there is NO LAN?
    Our Qu32 does not use a LAN for anything.
    The OP says there is a local network but not that the Qu is attached to it.

Putting the Qu on a LAN seems to be pointless. Do you call wifi a LAN?
    What am I missing about the Qu and LANs that makes the combination useful?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

The Qu apps require the iPad to be on the same local network (Local Area Network) as the board. Some people put the board on their main network with a WiFi access point or router also attached and use the Qu apps wirelessly. Others, like our church, attach the board directly to a WiFi router, separate from the churches main LAN. To control the board remotely from home, you have to create a VPN tunnel from the remote location, through the internet, and to the churches LAN where the board is connected. This way the remote Qu app is actually connected to the churches network.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Another possible way is to use a computer running the Mix Station program at the church and Remote Desktop to this computer from home.

Profile photo of Jakes Olivier
    Jakes Olivier
    Participant

You could also use Teamviewer and Cleanfeed and mix remotely.
    See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFCWquxa0g

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.