Mixer automation with DAW

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Mixer automation with DAW

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AnythingWF AnythingWF 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lukree
    Lukree
    Participant

Yesterday, I tried to record mixer sliders to Ableton live for automation. Live seems to record CC, but when trying to play the clip back to QU-24, it doesn’t follow automation. Every now and then I might get one jerky slider move, but it really doesn’t follow the automation.

Any help? This should work, right?

Mixer connected to Osx with usb, newest firmware and newest Ableton Live version.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

As far as I’m aware midi is locked into the DAW.
    So you need to be able to turn on/off control for this to happen within the DAW

Profile photo of Lukree
    Lukree
    Participant

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what do you mean. Can you be more specific?

Profile photo of Lukree
    Lukree
    Participant

Hmm, I guess it’s because Qu sends data in NRPN and Live (or Bitwig which I tried also) cannot use that at all, should be just CC. Damn.

So I should try to convert NRPN to CC for Live and then back to NRPN… It’s a hassle.

I guess the DAW control extra app doesn’t have anything to do with this, it’s only needed if you want to use mixer faders to control DAW, right? Got the mappable QU buttons to work like transport buttons in live with the DAW control app.

Profile photo of AnythingWF
    AnythingWF
    Participant

Hi Lukree

I think the faders in the Custom layer are fixed via the Daw control app and do follow the midi data very well. They do send NRPN but i don’t know what it would do to the DAW Control if you mapped one fader separately, because it runs with Mackie and HUI protocol and its premapped as far as i know. The DAW Control works perfectly on my QU-32 in Ableton as do other mappad parameters for DAW Control on the mixer. I use Windows 7 and the latest version of Ableton. Maybe if you go to preferences in Ableton to MIDI/Sync menu and try something with the the DAW Control settings there? You could set the NRPN to send out a CC and it should run smoothly, but i don’t know why one fader wouldn’t follow the midi data. Is it always the same fader? Does the fader just stop following the midi data in the middle of the session in Ableton or it just twitches from time to time and then works again?

Anze

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.