Mix out levels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mix out levels

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of djscottyb
    djscottyb
    Participant

I couldn’t find a discussion about my older xone464. It still works great, I don’t use a computer djing except for recording. I’d like to figure out while recording performances that the microphone level is significantly louder than the music. The music and microphone sound are very balanced out, appropriate level for both, but when I play back the recording you can barely hear the music, it’s like the performer’s are screaming over the top but it’s not what you hear coming out of the mains. A couple components that might be contributors, I’m using an RCA to USB adapter, works pretty well, it’s not state of the art but works well. I have a newer reverb processor that I use the inserts for two of the mics, it’s stereo or two channels. I can see the processor being the culprit but I thought what came out of the mains would be recorded exactly the same as if I was doing a mix down but for some reason the mics are way over the top. Any ideas or suggestions

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Without asking a lot of questions… to me this sounds like your music may be out of phase which may be giving you a cancellation.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are you recording, live bands/music or your DJ preformances?

For the reverb you would be better off to use the aux outs to feed the reverb
    and return it back into an unused channel or stereo input.

What mixer output are you using to send to the recording?

I take it that the RCA to USB converter is feeding the computer for recording.

Could you post a clip of the audio file or put up a link to it?

Profile photo of djscottyb
    djscottyb
    Participant

It can’t be music phase cancelation. I would have sound issues beyond just recording. I record various things, usually it’s my dj shows. In those recordings the mic is always loud because I need to get up and over the music. But this last time I was recording a singing competition. I did it so contestants could critique their performance. It should sound the same as what is coming out of the mains, instead it sounds like who can scream louder over the music. The processor is the Behringer FX2000, a decent little affordable processor. It can only work on an insert or on a digital mixer like my QU24 through the send/return but the QU24 has it’s own reverb section so the FX2000 is only for my dj system. The Xone464 has the extension in but that’s for older reverb processors that only deal with the return of the delayed and processed sound. The FX2000 needs that insert because it has effects that are real time, a real fun effect is making whomever on the mic sound like they just breathed helium. That effect wouldn’t work using the extension in. The Xone464 has two zones, “Mix 1 Mix 2”, each with separate volumes and balanced outs and RCA outs for each. That’s where I have the RCA to USB adapter to on “Mix 2” then I can get maximum recording level but even then I’m still 15db down so no possible chance for clipping.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Can you draw a simple schematic of what you are doing?
    Also put some music here so we can listen?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.