Missing Right Channel?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Missing Right Channel?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob T Rob T 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rob T
    Rob T
    Participant

I ran across some odd behaviour on an SQ5 this past weekend, and was wondering if anyone has any idea what was going on.

Console is an older production SQ5, and was running 1.5.6 firmware. The “right” half of the main L/R bus was present on the meters, but not present at any output to which it was patched (multiple local outputs were tried during troubleshooting). The “left” half of the main L/R bus worked fine. Checking balance revealed nothing (balance was set to center), and no inserts or other processing were enabled on the main stereo bus. Reloading the scene back at the shop fixed the problem. Any idea what might have happened? This issue stumped three experienced techs (one of which had minimal experience with the console, to be fair).

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You said the meters were working, but depending on where they are looking that could be deceiving. Channel output balance comes to mind, as well as an accidental DCA assignment, or an insert / patching issue. Hmmm, I guess without saving the state that it was in, one can only speculate.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Was the scene recalled on site at all, or only back at the shop?

If it was only attempted back at the shop, then I would say there is a pretty good chance it was a incorrect setting on the console (user error if you will). The scene was saved with a working set of settings and recalling the scene corrected whatever setting was wrong.

However if it was attempted onsite and it didn’t work there, but did at the shop, I wonder if it isn’t some loose connection or wiring harness that is causing an intermittent issue…..

Profile photo of Rob T
    Rob T
    Participant

Scene was only recalled back at the shop, so no idea if it would have fixed things onsite.

Wasn’t channel balance – all inputs were mono and panned center. Patch was checked and inserts were disabled as part of troubleshooting. “Meters working” was the main L/R meters with nothing PFL’d indicating both L and R at the same level.

I’m perfectly willing to chalk this up to user error, but I’m trying to figure out what the error might have been. Especially since I’ve not been able to find anything on the console or in the reference materials for how to even treat the two sides of the main L/R bus separately (other than the pan/balance controls on the channels and buses, all of which were checked)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.