MIDI to control Channel strip parameters

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions MIDI to control Channel strip parameters

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of htevents
    htevents
    Participant

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the SQ desks, but I do like it very much. In the past I mixed a lot on the Soundcraft SI series. I was used to have controls for every function of the channel strip. So the EQ had dedicated controls for every EQ parameter, same for the compressor and so on.

On the SQ you have to use the multi-fuctional knob more and for EQ you have FREQ, GAIN and Q control, but you have to flip trough the different EQ bands.

I can use the MixPad app on my iPad to work a bit faster, but still not as efficient as what I was used to. Not a big problem, the rest of the SQ really makes up for that.

I was thinking about MIDI control or another external control method to have a knob or button for every function of the channel strip.

First question: is it possible to control these parameters of the SQ?
    Second question: if yes, I couldn’t find them in the MIDI specifications sheet.

If not, any plans or options to implement that?

I would build the controller myself with all the knobs and buttons I need (so a full channel strip), so it would fit my needs and layout.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
    Tinjo

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I never liked my Soundcraft Impact, but it had a great front panel layout. A&H’s QU desks have a full set of EQ controls in a straightforward grid. I really wish SQ had the same instead of this arty smattering of knobs. Seems like a big step backwards.

Interesting. I hadn’t dug into the SQ MIDI Protocol doc before, but it doesn’t seem to have anything for EQ and such. Nothing about parameters for the selected channel. This is, fortunately, a trivially easy thing to do via Mixing Station. Run Mixing Station on a laptop or tablet, plug pretty much any MIDI controller into it, tell it what knob or fader does what parameter, and you’re set.

Profile photo of htevents
    htevents
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Looks promising, will have a look into it. One downside, I need another piece of hardware (tablet or laptop) to control it. Not the worst problem tough haha.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I think you could also get there with a Bome Box. Neat piece of hardware.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.