MIDI/TIMEDODE TO FOH

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions MIDI/TIMEDODE TO FOH

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robashard robashard 4 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eric85ITA
    eric85ITA
    Participant

Hello! I am very happy with my SQ5 (and Qu-Pac for smaller venues) combined with the Ar2412, and i’m looking to buy DX168. But, nowadays, i think that a Midi/timecode channel input should be a very useful implementation in future stageboxes, because everyone is running playback and midi/timecode from stage and it would be great to make that signals to arrive at foh position without using another cable, except the one used for audio(dsnake). I’d like to use midi scene recall (which is good in the latest firmware)for my band, but playback gear must be on stage for kemper, lights and other midi prests recall. Thanks!

Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

I’ve used the Tieline feature before, actually in the opposite direction to you, but if you put timecode into, say, input 16 of the DX168, you could route that via Tieline to come out an output XLR on the back panel, then maybe convert it to midi there to feed whatever.
    I would have thought a Midi input on the stage box won’t happen as it would require new hardware, but this would work fine. Obviously you lose a physical input on the DX, and you could just put it into a channel and take a direct output to an XLR output too. Obviously, whichever way you patch it, it has to be part of every Preset, or isolated from recall.

Profile photo of eric85ITA
    eric85ITA
    Participant

so, can a timecode signal coming out from playback player on stage (running down dSnake audio cable Ar2412>sq5) and sent out via tielines at foh thru xlr output, be converted to midi program changes to recall scenes automatically in my sq5 and other Midi capable effects(with standard din connectors)? which converters do i need?

Profile photo of robashard
    robashard
    Participant

Sorry, I thought you wanted midi timecode. You can convert from normal timecode to midi timecode with something like a Mark Of The Unicorn (Motu) Midi Time Piece.
    But now I’m thinking you want to send midi programme changes. Now there are midi line drivers that work over mic tie lines or mic cables (copper), but I doubt that the would work via a dx168 as they’re not wired in a standard audio way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.