MIDI set up question..not a DAW application

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions MIDI set up question..not a DAW application

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For a possible install upgrade in a conference room setting with 14 mics and a couple other playback source inputs the QU Pac would be a perfect, a good auto mixer for the table mics and all the routing options that they would ever need….except.

…At each position on the table there is a mic mute button and the head of the table has a mute all mic button. As it is now they are using a pair Shure SCM810 auto mixers and the mute buttons are providing a contact closure to the logic inputs on the SCM810.

Here’s where the MIDI question comes in, there are off the shelf units that will take a contact closure and convert that to MIDI control data, the ones I’m looking at will do eight inputs each and can be cascaded together.

Questions:
    – Will the QU accept that kind of midi control?
    – If so would that be done through the USB B connector or via the ethernet connection,
    the mixer will be on it’s own dedicated WIFI router.
    – What interface would I need to convert a standard MIDI output to either USB B or ethernet?

Mike C.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Isn’t that what the AMM does easier ?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

This depends on a few things:

– What MIDI message is being sent out? Does it match the protocol for mute control?
    – You could use either the USB B or Network port for this, so it depends what outputs are available from the converter and how configurable they are.
    – You could use something like the BomeBox (https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox) to interface between the two systems. This also has the option to translate the incoming and outgoing messages, so it doesn’t matter if the message being sent by the converter is compatible with the Qu.

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

This depends on a few things:

– What MIDI message is being sent out? Does it match the protocol for mute control?
    – You could use either the USB B or Network port for this, so it depends what outputs are available from the converter and how configurable they are.
    – You could use something like the BomeBox (https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox) to interface between the two systems. This also has the option to translate the incoming and outgoing messages, so it doesn’t matter if the message being sent by the converter is compatible with the Qu.This depends on a few things:

Here is the contact closure to MIDI unit I found midisolutions.com/prodf8
    The BomeBox looks like it would take the midisoultions unit and let me connect to the USB B for the midi control input.

I just downloaded the MIDI protocol info for the QU. I’ll see if the Midi Solutions unit can be programed to output the protocol needed.

The only things I need to control will be individual channel mutes and a group or DCA mute.

Thanks
    Mike C.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Isn’t that what the AMM does easier ?

No, the people at the table want to be able to mute their mic if needed as
    they did with the old system.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Thank for the link to the unit, it looks like a cool solution!

As it can send out note messages or SysEx, it should be fine to do what you want it to.

If you need any assistance getting set up, please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com and I can help you there.

You may also want to take a look at the Excel document here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-MIDI-generator.xlsx

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Thanks. Missed the need to mute the mike vs AMM function.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.