MIDI Scene Changes

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions MIDI Scene Changes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

Hi,

Next year in February 2016, I will have a Musical production.

The setup will be:
    Midas Pro 2 on Front
    iLive DR-48 on Monitors

Now, it’s an one men production, so I will using Dante for charing all the inputs.

Now, what I want to do is:
    When I hit on my Midas Pro Seres the next Scene bottom, I would like that via MIDI the iDR-48 will follow the changement.

Is this possible via MIDI ?

Kind regards,

Bernd

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

The iLive can recall scenes via program change messages. This from the iLive Midi Manual:
    For Scene 1 to 128
    Scene SS 1 to 128 = 00 to 7F
    Select bank Recall Scene
    BN, 00, 00, CN, SS
    For Scene 129 to 250
    Scene SS 129 to 250 = 00 to 78
    Select bank Recall Scene
    BN, 00, 01, CN, SS

The Pro 2 MIDI output can include a globally-enabled outgoing message that contains the recalled scene number and is sent out for all recalled scenes. Also, up to eight messages with user-selectable content are stored per scene and sent out whenever the scene is recalled. So you will need to program the Pro 2 to send the correct program change message for each scene recalled.

Midas Pro 2 Scene Midi

Profile photo of BerndVP
    BerndVP
    Participant

So I did today the test and every MIDI Scene Change from 1-128 works, just 129 – 256 I don’t find the correct MIDI Change Settings…
    What Do I need to change in the Pro 2 MIDI Send Data?

Tried:
    – IO ID 1, Channel 2
    – IO ID 2, Channel 1

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

To get to scenes above 128 you may need to send two command messages – first a Bank Change value “01”, then the Program Change. Leave the ID the same and stay on Channel 1
    I don’t have a Pro 2 but look in the program Change drop down for Bank Change which is Controller 0. A value of 01 = bank two (Scenes above 128), then also send the program change.

This reference from another site might be helpful:
    We need to use 2 messages to contain the bank number because, due to MIDI’s design, it’s not possible to transmit a value greater than 128 in just one controller message. Remember that a bank number can go as high as 16,384, and you need 2 MIDI controller messages to send such a large value. But, since most modules do not have more than 128 banks anyway, these modules typically only use the MSB message (ie, controller number 0) to select bank, and ignore any LSB message (ie, controller number 32).

B0 00 01 Switch to bank 2 (NOTE: only the MSB message needed)
    C0 02 Switch to the third patch in this bank
    The patch doesn’t actually change until the module receives the Program Change message. The Bank Select message(s) must precede the Program Change message. Otherwise, the module would select the third patch in whatever bank the module was currently set to. (In other words, when the module receives Bank Select messages, it doesn’t change any patches. Rather, it simply notes what the “current bank” is, and any subsequent Program Change messages will switch to patches within that bank.

What this also means for scene recalls is that ideally you need to send Bank Select message before every individual Program Change even to select patches from bank 1 (scenes 1-128). Otherwise the module (mixer) will assume it is still in the last selected bank – if that was Bank 2 then a program change only message would recall a scene above 128!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.