MIDI question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration MIDI question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

This is an odd one, perhaps.

In my band, I end up being the sound guy, the lead singer and lead guitar player. My hands are pretty full. I have a MIDI foot controller sending messages to my AxeFX digital guitar modeler.

What I’m wondering is if there might be a way to set up a MIDI send to the Qu-16, too, such that when I went from song A (where I have the lead and my vocal is a little hotter than the others) to song B (where I’m a background and need to bump someone else up in volume) I can do that with the same patch change that I’m using on my AxeFX?

Trouble is, there is no direct MIDI input on the Qu. And I can find lots of adapters that take USB in to MIDI out, but not the other way ’round.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I am in the process of having our techie build a foot switch that sends a midi string over TCP/iP to mute the internal fx, the pedal would plug in to the network port on the rear. He has already put a demo pedal together that only moves a single fader just to check that the pedal and desk were able to talk to one another.

So I would assume altering the pedal to do what you’re after wouldn’t be much of an issue.

πŸ™‚

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Interesting. So it would basically be able to relay CC messages and so forth through the TCP/IP port? Does it have a standard MIDI in port on it? Are you marketing this?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

The only downside to using such a pedal is that at the moment the QU series will only allow one device via the network port, so you wouldn’t be able to use an iPad. Hopefully in the future multiple devices will be allowed.

There will be hopefully a limited number of around 6 being made to gauge interest, more would be made if it was economically viable.

πŸ™‚

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

The Qu Series do not have a standard MIDI DIN Connector but they send and receive MIDI messages via the USB-B connector on the back of the board. If your guitar FX has a thru port, you could probably send messages to the mixer.

As stated above, if you tie up your network port with MIDI, you cannot use an iPad. One other thing. Using the TCP/IP port for MIDI (at least with a computer) requires special drivers.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Not problem with drivers using the pedal my techie has built, plug in and wait 30s or so for both the device and QU to handshake and away you go. Simple!!! πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’ll have to see if I can set up midi through to the USB port, but I’m pretty sure USB on the AxeFX is in only. Hmmm.

Please keep me posted on the pedal progress.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

And I can find lots of adapters that take USB in to MIDI out, but not the other way ’round.

What about this one?
    https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.