Midi Program Change A&H qu16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Midi Program Change A&H qu16

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anthony1974 anthony1974 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lumu12
    Lumu12
    Participant

Is it possible to send midi program change messages via usb from a midi controller to change scenes with the allen & heath qu 16? I want my hardware sequencers to change scenes for each different sequence.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just check out the Qu Mixer MIDI Protocol and search for “Scene Recall”.

Profile photo of Lumu12
    Lumu12
    Participant

Thanks for the link! The only thing I’m afraid of, is whether the midi-protocol used by the Qu16 (appears to be NRPN) accepts regular CC-midi-messages, from older devices like an MPC 2000. is it possible to set the qu16 up for receiving midi-CC?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi,

Qu uses CC messages for the MIDI strips. Most other faders and parameters use NRPN messages. Again, the protocol is your guide.
    To change Scenes you normally use Program Change messages, not CC, and yes, Qu accepts Program Change messages.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Protocol Link broke.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Google leads me to this:
    QU MIDI Protocol V1.9.pdf

Any good?

Profile photo of anthony1974
    anthony1974
    Participant

Hi there,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread – I found it while researching on the internet. I have had problems sending MSB, LSB and PC changes from Cubase 10 to a QU-16 to select a “Scene”.

I then tried selecting a Scene directly on the QU16 and recording what the desk does in Cubase.

I got an output which was huge, MSB, LSB, for some reason to PC messages and then a whole bunch of other stuff which I assume is the detail of controllers specific to different buttons and faders on the desk.

Can anyone advise if just sending the MSB, LSB and one PC should be sufficient to make the QU16 recall a Scene?

When I played back from Cubase what I recorded from the QU16 to the QU16 it went “mental”, faders moved etc which was good, but they didn’t reach the right settings, and the MIDI message indicators kept indicating activity even after I stopped play. I had to switch off both the QU16 and also restart Cubase to get things back to normal.

Many thanks for any advise you can give,
    Anthony.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

A Qu scene change should look like:

BN 00 00 BN 20 00 CN SS

N = your selected MIDI channel on the desk. By default, MIDI channel 1 is selected so this would mean N = 0

SS = the scene you’d like to recall.

The first section of the above message is two control change (bank) messages: (1) B0 00 00 (2) B0 20 00
    The end is a single program change message: C0 00

It’s best practice to send the entire message, but it may be possible to still control the scenes using just the Program Change part of the message. I recommend giving this a try to see if it works.

Recalling a scene has the potential to change most MIDI control parameters on the desk, so this will create a large ‘dump’ of MIDI messages as the scene recalls each parameter. So I don’t recommend capturing this MIDI dump and then attempting to recall it, as the above is much simpler.

Thanks!
    Alex

anthony1974
    Participant

Hi Alex,

Does this mean I can’t send conventional MIDI controller message and have to send a chunk of sysex instead? This is what I can see in Cubase in the attachment.

I’ve tried adding a Sysex event but I cant seem to enter anything but numbers?

Thanks,
    Anthony.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of ludsi
    ludsi
    Participant

Hi mate,
    I don’t own the mixing console, but I am looking to buy one and doing my research now. My opinion in your case I think you have midi loop somewhere. There should be a thru option in the preferences which needs to be turned off as it otherwise sends out the midi signal that comes in right away. In your case back to Cubase which triggers the PC. Or once your done with all the transfers just turn off the midi in on Cubase or midi out on the console (if exists).
    It also may need only program change command instead of all. It may send out all the data but it doesn’t necessarily need it for recall if its all stored in a program change preset first place.
    I hope that helps.

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

Could you try sending the MIDI messages from Cubase to something like MIDI Monitor for Mac? This way, you can check that the message being sent out matches the Qu MIDI protocol.

Thanks
    Alex

anthony1974
    Participant

Hi Ludsi, yes you were right I had to configure the Cubase MIDI through.

anthony1974
    Participant

Hi Alex,

There is a screenshot from MIDI Monitor below. I’m seeing the messages come through, but I can’t see the specific format that is mentioned in the MIDI Protocol.

I tried editing the Sysex message in cubase and it output something else, but it doesn’t lookl right (second picture).

Thanks,
    Anthony.

Attachments:
    anthony1974
    Participant

My latest effort is getting there I think but still no change on the desk. Do I have to be connected via TCP/IP or will a USB connection work?

Attachments:
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony1974,

If you go to MIDI Monitor > Preferences > Display you can change the Note, Controller and Data format to hexadecimal. This should now show the data in the same way as the MIDI Protocol.

A USB connection should work for this, but there are slight difference in what can be sent over the USB B connection. For example, SysEx messages aren’t supported over the USB B connection, but other message formats (CC, Program change, etc) sent via SysEx should work – this depends on the application sending the MIDI.
    Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.