midi over tcp unreliable

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions midi over tcp unreliable

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of retroj retroj 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Hello,

I’m developing a little python program to send midi messages to our theater’s gld-80, to automate setting volume levels for the different shows and presentations that we do. (The choice of python is because it integrates well with other software in our system.) I have got the program to a point where it sometimes works and sometimes fails, and the failure seems to be related to timing, because I can get different success rates by varying the placement of “sleep” calls before and after writing to the TCP socket. Obviously I would not like my program to depend upon such guesswork, but would just like it to work every time! 🙂

I wonder if anybody here has experience with midi-over-tcp and the GLD-80, and could advise. I understand that MIDI itself runs at a certain clock rate, but I read that midi-over-tcp should not have that limitation, and one can send messages at any rate.

I’ll attach a copy of the program – it’s about 80 lines and is pretty simple. Basic usage is like this:

>>> import gldcontrol
    >>> gldcontrol.set_levels(input=[0,-10,-5]) # set inputs 1,2,3

The midi messages are constructed by format_fader_level_message, concatenated, and written to the tcp port.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

..trying again on the file attachment..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

The GLD-80 has firmware 1.4.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.