Midi out from QU to other equipment?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Midi out from QU to other equipment?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Smalltown Jim Smalltown Jim 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Smalltown Jim
    Smalltown Jim
    Participant

Hi, I’m pretty competent with the the audio functions of the QU series and many other live PA products but recently I’ve been delving into DMX and some DMX control systems, If I understand the QU series user manual correctly, it appears that it can send MIDI information Out via the USB -B or Ethernet network ports?
    One of the DMX control systems I’m considering working with can respond to multiple signalling protocols including GPI, MIDI, UDP, TCP & OSC, I’m interested in making the lighting system respond to audio gate open functions on specific input channels of our QU series mixers, so my initial question is can the QU series output a code on the event of a audio input gate opening? I assume that it’s more likely to be a MIDI signal as opposed to the other protocols available to me but as the lighting system also has four General Purpose Inputs (GPI) ports that can be configured to respond to either incoming analogue or digital signals, I’m open to suggestions if I can setup some suitable electronics to match up the necessary electrical parameters to match the equipment.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

Al MIDI control of the gate is possible on the Qu, this is only for editing the available parameters and not for specific events or behaviours of the gate. For example, you can send the Qu/the Qu will send a message for a change to the threshold parameter, but no message will be sent when the signal exceeds the threshold.

If you would like to explore other ideas on how you can use your Qu for MIDI control, please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com

Thanks! Alex

Profile photo of Smalltown Jim
    Smalltown Jim
    Participant

Hi Alex, thanks for the helpful information. It appears from you answer that I cant achieve what I want from a triggered gate on an input channel. Unless the support team can suggest a relatively easy way to output a control signal out from a QU series to external equipment I think I may be wasting their time?
    I’m trying to keep it simple, but I wonder if there 3rd party device’s that could take an audio signal from say an Aux-out or mix out and then convert that to a switch open/close function on rapid audio transients, also I’m going to see if I can find something that converts an audio pulse into a OSC or MIDI signal.

Jim.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.