Midi Controller for Qu16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Midi Controller for Qu16

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 4art
    4art
    Participant

Hi

Are there any ideas for midicontroller’s which work with Qu16? The controller just have to control input volume faders and on/off switch aka PL-6.

Thank you

4Art

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Now that’s an interesting thought.
    Does the PL-6 use or drive midi via Ethernet?
    I control QU via Ethernet (not USB) from a Mac as the QU runs faders, mutes solo’s etc and.. as a DAW so maybe the PL-6 can be programed to do a similar operation?
    I just do not know or have that time to research.
    hope this helps
    cheers

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Does the pl6 have motorised faders? not immediately obvious.

If A&H made something like a Berry x touch, but with a superstrip, and either ethernet or wifi, then I’d jump.

8+1 faders, scribble strips and a few custom layers (I’d only need a couple, but can see larger applications) and I’d be buying. Don’t need many buttons per fader (pfl/mute/select?)

Profile photo of 4art
    4art
    Participant

Any other idea how to remote-control Qu16 without any Wifi-Device? It should be a solution for a small church. No soundengineer – just people, who are able to ring the bells and turn on/off the lights :-). (Sorry for my bad english…) IDR16 with PL-6 is to expensive…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Why without WiFi?

If it’s seriously basic operation then there are android tablets with ethernet connections, so you could run qudroid on one of those…

Else just set up a WAP, and run an iDevice.
    I have to ask if a QU is the right solution for a church with such limited tech – I presume they’re basically doing speech reinforcement…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Off topic I guess, but:

“8+1 faders, scribble strips and a few custom layers (I’d only need a couple, but can see larger applications) and I’d be buying. Don’t need many buttons per fader (pfl/mute/select?)”

No need for the scribble strips – chuck an iPad dock on it and have a page in the app with no faders, but nice scribbles & layer/bank selects instead. Let it run on batteries & use the docked iPad’s Wi-Fi to talk to the desk……

Profile photo of 4art
    4art
    Participant

It’s absolutly the right choice, because there ARE small bands playing in this church, but only one times a month. And at that moment there are tecis. So this is a combination of two solutions: Solution 1 without technician, solution two with technitian.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

4art – then that’s great, Just wanted to be sure the question had been asked!

Mark – true, probably only need the faders then, MUTE/PAFL/Select etc could all be soft…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wouldn’t you still have to program something?
    The PL6 is a controller however I thought you would have to program whatever it controls?
    I program the software (in Mac)to control the (bi-driectional) QU via the Ethernet so thats software driven from the Mac?
    OR are you talking running from a surface?
    I’ll watch this column
    anyhow good luck
    cheers

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“Are there any ideas for midicontroller’s which work with Qu16? The controller just have to control input volume faders and on/off switch…..”

“Any other idea how to remote-control Qu16 without any Wifi-Device? It should be a solution for a small church. No soundengineer – just people, who are able to ring the bells and turn on/off the lights :-).”

OK so to the question that was actually asked.

Do you need a remote for this? The desk itself is capable of doing what you want.
    You can set user permissions so that a non technical user can only get to one custom layer, one scene which loads automatically, and can only adjust the volumes & mutes. So you could make a simple setup with for instance, just 2 mics & a CD, going to only the L+R speakers. Then let them use the desk, which is now so limited that they can’t really go wrong.

Have a look at page 39 of the manual.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The reason for the remote may well be that they want it controlled from the lecturn/pulpit.

Mind you – the requirement is so limited that I wonder if it can’t be achieved with a board built as a schools project -one fader/dial for the lecturn mic, a CD player can just be set to line level – if it’s needed at all!!!

I’m assuming of course that the “non tech” services are basically single mic affairs. You could even go so far as just to leave the faders set, and use the gates and/or on/mute/off switches on radio microphones.

So for a non tech the QU gets fired up, and loads into the restricted user, locked out (I think that can be set as default, or at least left that way each month).
    – The faders are all up to a reasonable level, but the gates are closed.
    – The service leader walks up to the mic and starts talking – the gate opens and the speech is reinforced.
    – They walk away and the gate closes again.

– Someone plays a CD and it “just works”

– A radio mic is switched on, and the gate opens – it gets turned off and the gate shuts…

With levels low enough to make feedback unlikely, and eq correctly set on the outputs (presume a loop as one of the mixes, and the main speakers as another) and the input channels, this should be as easy as switching on the lights.
    If they want to record the sermon then I’d lift a feed from the loop to a tape player – or something else they can deal with easily.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.