MIDI control of the SQ mixer is not supported in firmware V1.3???

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions MIDI control of the SQ mixer is not supported in firmware V1.3???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kebu Kebu 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of General
    General
    Participant

I’m new to sq6, I’m trying to configure as a controller and I found that legend in the manual, MIDI control of the SQ mixer is not supported in firmware V1.3
    help please

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi General,

DAW Control is supported in V1.3, however, other MIDI control over TCP/IP or USB is not yet implemented.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of General
    General
    Participant

I appreciate your response, thank you, greetings from Mexico.

Profile photo of PrenkurJ
    PrenkurJ
    Participant

Does SQ7 has a MIDI control over TCP/IP or USB? if no what is the timeline for it?

Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi PrenkurJ,

Scene control is controllable using MIDI via the USB port or over TCP/IP on the SQ now, with more controls planned for the next firmware version.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Now in SQ V1.4.0:
    SQ MIDI Protocol Issue 1

Profile photo of Kebu
    Kebu
    Participant

Glad to see that the SQs finally has MIDI! I’ve been planning for two years to upgrade my current mixer, but I have problem finding a new one with decent MIDI implementation.

However, I was not happy to see that the SQs only support NRPN data. Please do me a favor and try recording the MIDI data from adjusting two faders simultaneously on the SQ5 and play it back. As far as I understand it, NRPN makes it impossible to adjust two values simultaneously. Since NRPN data use four MIDI CC values to represent one value on the SQ5 (e.g. fader level on channel X), the MIDI CC data from the movement of two faders would get intertwined and the result unpredictable. Or is the choice of NRPN parameters so clever that the values won’t get misinterprated?

For the next update I would suggest that you add the option of using a MIDI table instead of NRPN, as Yamaha has for their mixers. In Yamaha mixers you can select to either use NRPN or a “MIDI table”, where the user can assign over 100 available MIDI CCs (128 minus reserved CCs) to any control he likes.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Kebu,

We are planning to release a new version of the DAW Control Driver very soon which includes new maps to convert the desk MIDI (faders and mutes) to standard CC or Note On/Off messages for this exact purpose.
    This will be released as soon as it passes testing.

Using a program such as QLab, it is possible to group the four CC messages, then trigger multiple groups at once. But the new maps will of course make things much easier for this application!

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of Kebu
    Kebu
    Participant

Thanks for your fast reply, Alex!

The new driver sounds fine for DAW users. However, I’m using a hardware sequencer to control my mixer & synthesizers live, and wouldn’t want to add a laptop just for controlling the mixer. I realize I’m part of quite a small minority doing that, but please consider for future firmware updates to include the option for a MIDI CC table in the mixer itself.

Best wishes,
    Kebu

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.