MIDI Control no activity w/ CC Translator

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions MIDI Control no activity w/ CC Translator

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MityVee MityVee 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Hi there,

I can’t seem to get any activity hence pass any midi commands through the CC Translator Ports to my SQ5 via TCP/IP.
    All works fine when I’m using the midi through. I have control with SysEx, NoteOn/Off, etc and the activity is also shown in the corner right box in the Midi Control Window.
    But as soon as I use the CC Translator Inputs / Ouputs Ports no activity is shown, no matter what Software I use. A read out via Pocket Midi also stays silent so as if no data was being sent.
    I’d love to use the Translator Ports for quick and easy setup to controlling some mutes with note on/ off.

Happy for every hint.
    Latest Windows 10, latest Midi Control.
    Thanks!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@MityVee

Something which can catch you out is that different virtual ports are created depending on which protocol you’ve selected in the A&H MIDI Control preferences.
    Some apps/DAW’s build their available MIDI ports list when opening, so we recommend setting up A&H MIDI Control before opening the app/DAW.
    Then when connection is established, open the app and select the virtual ports.

Saying that, even if the virtual connection has an issue, you should still see activity in the bottom right corner of A&H MIDI Control preferences from the ‘real’ connection to the mixer.

If you disconnect the TCP/IP connection and then reconnect, do you see ‘Connected’ in the bottom left of the A&H MIDI Control preferences?
    Are you able to check the USB-B MIDI connection too?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Thanks, Keith.
    Yes, I have tried every possible combination of starting and setting up MIDI CONTROL First, chosing virtual ports, starting App.
    I usually know my way around Midi Setups.
    I try to clarify:
    When I choose CC Translator Protocol in MIDI CONTROL and then start any Midi Message App three virtual Ports have been created: CC Translator Inputs, CC Translator Outputs, CC Translator Midi Thru.
    If I choose “CC Translator Midi Thru” as the Apps Output all messages get through to the SQ, as indicated in the bottom right corner in MIDI CONTROL and the “reaction” of the SQ to that message.
    When I choose CC Translator Inputs (or Outputs) as my Apps Output and send the exact same messages (or the simple CC’s and note on/offs that would be translated for the SQ) they don’t even seem to reach MIDI CONTROL since there is NO indication in the bottom right corner any more and no “reaction” from the SQ of course. As if those two Ports just “swallowed” all data. Change back to CC Translator MIDI THRU and everything’s working fine again.

I’ve not heard of before but could other ports from other interfaces and such impede on those MIDI CONTROL Ports? I have quite a few up and running in my system (around 20) but have never had any problem.
    I have not tried the USB Midi connection yet, which I will do out of curiosity. But TCP/IP it needs to be for me.
    Of course, in the end I can run all messages through MIDI THRU as well, i was just wondering if there’s a fix or something I’ve missed.

Thanks for your help!

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

…just had a quick check trying the USB-B connection: same behavior, no difference.

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

..maybe similar problem here? :

Trouble with MIDI Translator and Qlab MIDI messages

also I’ve kicked all other midi ports out my system but didn’t help

KeithJ A&H

@MityVee

Please contact us using support.allen-heath.com with more details about the computer, OS and other MIDI connections (physical and virtual) so we can look into this further with you, log everything and try to reproduce at our end.

(We can then post any findings back here)

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Thanks Keith, I will!

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Ok, so I tried the setup on a whole other system.
    Exact same behavior, no messages getting through the translator inputs/ outputs ports to midi control.
    To me it seems like a faulty translation script but then I shouldn’t be the only one having trouble..?
    Anyone else keen to have a test and confirm or deny? With PC running latest Windows 10..
    Thanks!

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Ok, I’ve found the problem!
    It’s a very simple problem within the translator script/ MIDI CONTROL.
    It seems like the translator ports simply don’t seem to receive messages on midi channel 1, which was the only midi channel I’ve been using all the time since there seemed
    no need to change it.
    I just switched the console’s channel to Midi channel 2 (switching DAW control to 3), and everything’s working as expected.

Simple fix. I haven’t seen anything in the documentation about not using Ch 1 for translation messages so maybe update this – or midi control.. Keith?

That’s probably the same issue orcascenter had over at https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/trouble-with-midi-translator-and-qlab-midi-messages

cheers.

KeithJ A&H

@MityVee

Thanks for the update. I have managed to reproduce the issue here and we’re currently investigating.
    I’ll let you know when we figure it out.

Thanks!
    Keith.

(btw- I love pocket MIDI, so handy, especially for things like this where MIDI-OX is probably overkill)

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Yes, great and easy tool! heard about it in one of your A&H sessions 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.