MIDI between 2 GLDs

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions MIDI between 2 GLDs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ELIS ELIS 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ELIS
    ELIS
    Participant

Hello all.
    I am interested in MIDI implementation in SCENE recall MIDI signals.
    Let’s say I have 2 GLD-112 mixers, running the same configuration, the same scenes, identical twins.
    I would connect them by MIDI cables (ins and outs). Using softkeys I can do scenes recall.
    My questins is: will one mixer a scene recall midi signal to the other mixer so that the other mixer also performs a scene recall?

Thank you.

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Not sure, but if that doesn’t work you can use BitFocus Companion software to trigger scenes on each GLD simultaneously. It’s designed to work with an Elgato Streamdeck (rather than the Elgato software), but you don’t even need one as the software browser interface has a StreamDeck emulator. Although there are no GLD modules, the dLive module scene recall does work.

Jeff

Profile photo of ELIS
    ELIS
    Participant

I already use a Stream deck and I could send program changes to both mixers thru a MIDI merger interface but it looks simplier by using midi cables between the two GLDs.
    I guess I need to buy one to try this 🙂

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

Well, “simpler” depends. In both cases you have to do some configuration setup, and I will say that it took me about 10 minutes to set up in Companion (pick the dLive module, configure it with IP info for the GLD, add a button that recalls the number scene I want, and done). It should be noted that Bitfocus Companion is replacement software for the StreamDeck, i.e. you can’t run them both on your PC simultaneously, so if you already use the Streamdeck with its included software, you’d have to recreate that on Companion (or run Companion from a different computer. That said, StreamDeck might have a module for the GLD, but I don’t use their software so have never looked into the availability.

MIDI-wise, if both mixers are right next to each other then cross-connecting MIDI cables (if it works) would be fine. However, if they are any distance apart then Companion pulls ahead as it can send commands over the network. I’m not sure if Carey Davies is a member here (likely, as he’s an A&H Engineer that designed the GLD and QU series, among others), but I also know him through other forums like ChurchSoundCheck so will give him a shout and see if he can jump in here. He’s provided valuable info to me in the past on questions that aren’t really covered in the manuals, or are not “traditional” but do work.

Jeff

Profile photo of ELIS
    ELIS
    Participant

In fact I just got the ideea that when connected thru midi the receiving console will also mirror fader movements of the sending console. Fader movements send midi CC while scene recall sends PC.
    For now I configured streamdeck to send PG and used a midi merger to duplicate de midi input for both mixers.
    The alternative with midi cable as side by side mixers would be possible using a midi filter, allowing only PC, not CC.

Thanks, I think I got my answers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.