MIDI and QLAB

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jmix
    jmix
    Participant

Proud new user of an Avantis. We bought it to primarily be used for theatrical application. We moved from an X32 and I was sold on it with the extensive show/scene control vs the X32.

HOWEVER…

I’m having a really hard time with the MIDI implementation. Specifically, with being able to control the scenes on the console via QLAB. On the old X32 setup, I was able to just fire a MIDI command from the QLAB Computer (via midi interface) into the MIDI In port on the X32 and it would advance the next scene. Doesn’t seem like there is an easy way to do this on the Avantis.

I have read through the TCP/IP Protocol guide and realize that there is technically a way to fire off individual scenes via HEX midi — which I don’t quite understand — but what I do know is this would get amazingly complex in a large show having to manipulate QLAB with a specific (hex) MIDI command for specific scenes.

I really, really need to be able to use the Avantis Cue List and have QLAB just fire down the list that I have on the console without having to tell the console which scene to go to directly. Is there a Go Button accessible remotely and/or scene controls similar to the soft key setup window available?

Anyone else using QLAB and can give some insight/tips/help on the setup you are using?!?

Thanks!

Profile photo of jmix
    jmix
    Participant

No one using Avantis with QLAB?!?

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi jmix,

Sorry I do not use QLAB either Avantis 😉
    But maybe I can help with midi 🙂

What is your actually problem?

As I’ve seen in the Midi Reference Table:

Scene Recall
    Bank and Program Change message
    To recall one of the 500 Scenes using 4 banks
    Also transmits this message when a Scene is recalled from the Avantis screen

Is there a way, that QLAB can learn incoming Midi commands?
    So you can change scene at the Avantis manually and QLAB can learn this midi message from the mixer.

Maybe this can be an easy way to program the correct scene and bank number!

greetings,
    dd

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.