Mic to line level

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mic to line level

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

I know I can get an attenuator cable the problem is I can’t seem to find one more than 1 ft long. So is it an issue to use an extension cable on the other end so I can go from my board to the camera we are using. I’m assuming it would be if I use it on the board end of the connection.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Could you clarify your use of “to” and “from”?
    Mic to line would need amplifying, not attenuating, so I’m not really sure what you’re wanting to do.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

I want to take the matrix signal from the board and send it to our camera. Since the board sends a line level and the camera takes a mic level signal it’s really hot and there isn’t a lot I can do in between to change that. I was looking at this Movo MV-RC100 3.5mm Male Line-in to Male Microphone Attenuator Cable for HDSLR Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW69IQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZQL1BbSJCF89X

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Why not just turn down your matrix send level?

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

Because I use it to feed some wireless speakers. The matrix feed I have set up is a boosted LR signal.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

It would be better if there were a way for the camera to accept a line level signal. If you attenuate by say, 20dB in order to get around a 20dB gain stage, then you have raised the noise floor by 20dB. It would be better to not have the gain stage in the first place. Can you tell us more about your camera and any audio input accessories?

DC

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Is the Alt Out unused on your desk?

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

The camera is a basic hd camera I think it is sony. It has a 3.5mm mic input and headphone jack for connections

Dick Rees
    Participant

Please do not think I’m talking down to you, but to save time and get the best answers one should include as much information as posiible. Exact brands/models of gear involved, how it’s set up/configured and not least what you’re trying to achieve. Simply asking about one possibly useful piece of gear limits things and tends to eliminate better, more proper solutions.

I purchased a car audio gizmo to do exactly what you want and paid something like $6.00 for it…but I used it once and cannot find it. Neither can I find a record of it in my Amazon purchases. I’ll continue to search for it, but in the meantime:

Keep the balanced line level right up to the camera and do any line-matching at the camera. And as Mark asked, what are you doing with your Alt Out and other matrix???

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Shure 50db attenuator
    Get one or two of these and put them inline between your mixer and your camera.

Dick Rees
    Participant
    Dick Rees
    Participant

In addition to choosing a proper device for line-matching, may I suggest a couple more hints to keep things “in line”:

1. Use a right-angle plug at the camera. Straight ones put stress on the tiny input jack and either get noisy as things loosen up or just plain destroy the input jack.

2. Disable the camera audio limiter. They’re cheap and cause terrible distortion when they kick in. Use a designated output from your mixer and set up the compressor as a hard limiter on the group or matrix chosen for the camera feed. VOE…

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

Yes the camera is hooked up to the alt out as is the external speakers to feed another area. They are currently both hooked to alt out via a splitter. That’s why I was wondering if I can just use the cable I posted as it would be the cheapest route and we don’t have a huge budget. And if things change how we are doing video I don’t want to spend a lot now and have to maybe do something different later

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What board do you have, that will tell us what outputs you have available.

If you have an open mix out available you could use that for the camera feed, set that mix to post fade, to start set all of the channel mix levels the same. Using a mix for the camera feed will allow you customize the mix a little for the video recording like raising the levels on the spoken word mics.

Check your camera specs and see what kind of mic input it has, if it’s mono you should
    be ok. Most have a stereo mic input though.
    If you just go with an inline XLR pad between the mixer and the camera you can not
    use a straight through XLR to 1/8 inch TRS adapter to connect to the camera if the camera mic input is set up for a stereo mic input. You will get phase cancellation from a balanced line going into a stereo input.

Here is a Whirlwind interface unit that works well, no power needed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

And here is the Whirlwind link I wanted to post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.