Me-1s with POE injector

Forums Forums ME Forums ME troubleshooting Me-1s with POE injector

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John-S John-S 6 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tara
    tara
    Participant

I have a church wanting to use 8 ME-1s however they are trying to stay within their budget and are not excited about the price of the ME-U. Can they use a regular switch with a POE injector to power the ME-1s? Has anyone tried this? If this won’t work, anyone know of a 12 port unmanaged POE switch that will work with 8 ME-1s?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Any reason not to just daisy chain, if budget is limited?

Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

The church I do sound for is about to do the exact same thing. After watching videos, they say that any standard POE switch will do fine. The ME-U seems like it is more designed to get the ME-1 units to work with other networks such as Dante, plus it has Ethercon connections which seem more professional.

I was looking at this switch to save money. It costs around $300 depending on where you get it.

https://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=210_TPE-T160H

It gives me 16 ports to work with, 30 watts per port, and a total budget of 250 watts. The specs that I have seen of the ME-1 mixers say that they use 13 watts each. Say they were 15 watts, 15 watts * 8 units = 120 total wattage. So there is plenty of power to go around. Plus it is rack mountable. That is always a plus.

Unless I am completely wrong and none of this is going to work. Which if that is true, someone should let us know before we break expensive stuff.

Mervaka is correct though. If budget is a real issue (as I have seen at some churches), then using the individual power supplies and daisy chaining the units together with cat5e is the best way to go. You wont need any extra hardware. Though if an extra $300 is in the budget and that switch will work, then it is a great way to clean up the stage so you dont have a lot of power adapters running all over the place.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

A similar Trendnet switch (TPE-T160) has been reported to work well with ME-1s. A Zyxel 1100-16P has been recommended in this thread. We cannot test these in house but generally speaking if you follow the recommendations in our KB article you shouldn’t have any problem.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of tara
    tara
    Participant

Thank you for the Trendnet link. That may be the solution we use. We have been using a Netis PE6108G for smaller systems. The only issue is that the fan is so loud. If the ME-U was in the $600 range in most cases it would be a no brainer but it is so pricey I have a hard time convincing churches that it is necessary.

Any thoughts on on using a regular switch plus a POE injector? It would be a little cheaper and possibly a little quieter. I am not an IT expert so I am a bit nervous to pursue that option.

Thanks again for the input. Checking out the Trendnet switch now!

tylermartin86
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Nicola.

I dont see much of a difference between the Trentnet TPE-T160 and the TPE-T160H other than the non “H” version is capable of a total of 480 watts and the “H” version is only capable of 250 watts. Even at 15 watts per channel, this still does not push the power budget. The non “H” version is also a round $75 more.

So if the TPE-T160 seems to work very well, then the TPE-T160H should work just as well. I had our dealer order one ME-1 mixer for now to see how the band likes it. If they do, then many more will be purchased along with the TPE-T160H. I will post back with the results of the switch.

Profile photo of Mobetta
    Mobetta
    Participant

I’m trying to put an ME-1 system together for Easter and the ME-U is backordered until “end of April”. Just curious, what were your results using the TPE-T160?

tylermartin86
    Participant

I have not been able to purchase the switch yet. Our band at church is taking a long time for each member to try out the ME-1 mixer.

The switches should be universal though. As long as the switch adheres to the standards that the ME-1 follows and can provide enough power per port and power overall, you should have no issues with the POE switch.

Profile photo of Mobetta
    Mobetta
    Participant

Thanks for your quick response Tyler.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

I can confirm that the Zyxel 1100-16P works fine.

I use is with the ar2412 with the qu16 – gld80 – sq5 without trouble.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I too can confirm that the Zyxel 1100-16P works fine. But it has quite loud fan noise. Not an issue if you are doing loud-ish music but in a quiet setting it is really obnoxious.

John

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.