ME-1, GLD, Follow Mute

Forums Forums ME Forums ME general discussions ME-1, GLD, Follow Mute

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

Alright, so I have a GLD 80 and a ME-1 system. On the GLD, the Direct Out is set to Post HPF and to follow the mute. When I mute an individual channel, it also mutes it at the ME-1 units. However, when I mute a DCA, the channels that are muted by that DCA are not muted at the ME-1 units. Is there a setting for this, is this an issue, or is this a feature suggestion?

Thank you.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tyler,

DCA mutes don’t affect sends or Direct Outs from Input channels. This option (follow DCA mute) has been requested before for monitor use, and it’s logged in our GLD feature requests list.

Profile photo of glparke
    glparke
    Participant

Will this only be an option? Currently I like the way it is, to be able to mute a channel when not in use and have it muted in the ME-1, but if I just mute the DCA, I want it ON in the ME-1 so the musician can still hear things in their ears and practice if need be. (of course, everyone else hears them in their ears 🙂

tylermartin86
    Participant

Thank you for the response Nicola. I will look forward to this feature in the next firmware update.

I also agree with glparke in that it should be an option, and not just hard-coded.

Profile photo of dadude712
    dadude712
    Participant

I haven’t purchased yet to test, but have some questions around this topic. Trying to digest the statements above without success.

Can I set the GLD to never mute the ME-1 feeds if I mute by channel or DCA on the board? The guitar player should be able to hear himself even if muted on board. The new guys practice this way.

For a mic in the wedges, will be muted with both channel and DCA mutes?

Thanks

tylermartin86
    Participant

You would use the Direct Out options to control what the ME-1 units receive. It is possible to set the direct out to not follow the mute on the board. So if a channel is muted on the board, it will still go through the ME-1 units. Muting a DCA will not impact the sound going to the ME-1 units at this time. That is a feature suggestion that Allen & Heath has logged and should be in the next firmware release.

If you mute a channel or it is muted via a DCA, it will be muted everywhere else. So it will be muted in a wedge.

Profile photo of dadude712
    dadude712
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Tyler.
    Which part is included now vs in the next release?
    With the age of the board, I want to make sure things will work if they never release the next version.

tylermartin86
    Participant

As of right now, you have the following options on the direct out (sound going to the ME-1 units):
    1. Follow Mute – if enabled, when you mute a channel on the board, it will be muted on the ME-1 unit. If disabled, muting a channel on the board will not mute it on the ME-1.
    2. Follow Fader – if enabled, the channel fader on the board will change the volume of the sound going to the ME-1 units. If disabled, the fader does not impact the sound going to the ME-1 units.
    3. Direct out source – I won’t list all of the options, but you can choose at any point in the input path to take the sound and route it to the ME-1 units. For example, you can send the sound right after it hits the preamp, or you can let it go through the preamp, high pass filter, and gate before sending to the ME-1 units.

If you mute a DCA, that will not mute any of the sound going to a ME-1 unit.

I recommend downloading the PC app and playing around with it. That will give you a very good idea of how the GLD will operate.

GLD Series

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, the follow fader/mute not being affected by DCA is PITA. This is on all series- iLive, GLD, Qu and dLive. Hope they fix it soon. I really can’t understand why it is this way. If DCA mute cuts signal to all routes and direct out is set to follow mute, then why it should stay as only unmuted route?

ddff

Profile photo of glparke
    glparke
    Participant

Yes, the follow fader/mute not being affected by DCA is PITA. This is on all series- iLive, GLD, Qu and dLive. Hope they fix it soon. I really can’t understand why it is this way. If DCA mute cuts signal to all routes and direct out is set to follow mute, then why it should stay as only unmuted route?

ddff

Actually for our church use it is brilliant the way it works and I hope it does not get changed, or have it be an option to follow or not follow dca mute. If it followed the dca mute, there would be no way for me to mute a keyboard feed for instance to all stage wedges and house but still keep it going in the ears. I want it to follow channel mute (mute unneeded vocal mics for example) but not follow dca mute so stage can still hear what they need to hear. if you have a combo of wedges and ears, how would you mute channels to wedges, but still keep it going to the ME1?
    there should be 3 settings – 1 follow channel mute only, 1 follow dca mute, 1 follow both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, I can understand your application, however in my situation these are unused instruments that are going to IEM and has to be muted on ME-1 every time. I work faderless most of the time and set DCA for cello- pickup and mic, the same for accordion- high and low mics. So DCA mute works fine for PA and wedges, but not for IEM.

ddff

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Another option to DCA are groups, we use this for certain things like our orchestra, the advantage is the individual channel can be muted nobody hears it, most people have the group in their IEM so the group in muted no one hears it, but the individual can add their own channel to their ME and only they would hear it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.