Matrix Routing – Pre EQ Source?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Matrix Routing – Pre EQ Source?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of atetra
    atetra
    Participant

According to the SQ v1.4 Reference Guide, it appears that any Group, Aux or Main sent to a Matrix is post EQ/Comp.

My question – is there any way to send the Main to a Matrix pre EQ/Comp? It seems wrong that I’m forced to have post EQ/Comp audio from the Main on a Matrix that I would like to use for a recording, front/side fill, or subs, etc. that would preferably have it’s own EQ/Comp settings, completely uncolored and independent of the Main settings.

If not, this would seem like a worthwhile feature request…

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’ve had a look and can’t find anything about this, I don’t know if it’s a typical feature you’d find.

I’m not sure how much this will help, but the typical thing would be to use a matrix for all outputs, including the main PA. This way you still have somewhere to make a global EQ or level change to the whole system instead of having to adjust every separate output. This also leaves the LR signal sounding “correct”, because the PA-specific adjustments are being done downstream.

Chris

Profile photo of atetra
    atetra
    Participant

Well, that is another way to look at it and it would certainly suffice.

Thanks for the reply.

Profile photo of atetra
    atetra
    Participant

Playing around with this further, the issue with your solution @chris93, is that now I do not have single fader control of my FOH level. Ideally, I would like to run two of the Matrix sends post fade in respect to the Main so my front-fill and sub levels will vary in sync with the Main level and I can EQ/Comp them independently of the Main. Your solution does give me a clean recording output, but no way to adjust the overall FOH level with one fader – now I need to move three at once. This could be resolved if there was the ability to send the Main to the Matrix pre-EQ/Comp. I certainly can’t be the only user that finds this desirable. Maybe I’ll be fishing an analog 1/3 octave EQ out of storage and just throw that on the Mains and hope this gets addressed at some point…

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

@atetra On my phone, will it allow you to assign a DCA to those output faders?

Chris

Profile photo of atetra
    atetra
    Participant

It certainly will.

I’m coming off 20+ years using a GL4000 and I’m clearly having a tough time thinking outside of the analog world box. Old dog, new tricks – but happy to be learning.

That’s what makes forums like this invaluable.

Thanks.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@aletra
    Think about it again and you will find it helpful to have two stages processing in your master chain
    and you don‘t have to use it always

And btw all outputs have a GEQ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.