Matrix as extended aux

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Matrix as extended aux

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CasparC
    CasparC
    Participant

It would be nice to have the option to use the a matrix as an “extended aux”.

By that I mean, that i would like to be able to ajust the volume for each source that is send to the matrix.
    – just like in a normal aux.

It would be usefull, when you are using all 12 aux and need a extra send with some inputs, fx’s, aux and so on.
    … Just like the matrix nomally works, but with the feature to ajust source-volume, instead og just pre/post.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi CasparC,

A matrix bus is a mix bus for mix buses, so it is not possible to send input channels or FX returns to a matrix on SQ. You can, however, adjust the level of any mix bus which is sent to the matrix. This is done in the Routing page for the matrix, or you can select the mix bus you would like to adjust for the matrix and use the CH to All Mix key to view the send on the fader.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of TheBeardedDude
    TheBeardedDude
    Participant

One of the features I miss on the SQ (since transitioning from the GLD series) is having the ability to select a matrix as the currently selected “mix” and then being adjust the individual Aux, Group, and Main LR send levels to the matrix using the faders. Is there currently any way to mix the send levels going to a matrix using the faders?

Profile photo of conrad
    conrad
    Participant

That sounds very useful. Maybe something like DCA spill, but for matrices?

Profile photo of TheBeardedDude
    TheBeardedDude
    Participant

I would certainly be willing to give up a soft key to gain the ability to adjust the mix levels feeding a matrix using faders! If anyone knows how I might accomplish this, please let me know.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@thebeardeddude

Just adjust the faders on the channels going into the mix.
    BUT Then you have moved the problem to the other locations those channels feed.

In short, like @alex A&H said, YOU CAN *NOT* DO IT the way you want not even by giving up a soft key.

Would AH do it sometime in the future on a new generation of mixers?
    I doubt it but they might give you other options that would work for you.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just adjust the faders on the channels going into the mix.
    BUT Then you have moved the problem to the other locations those channels feed.

You missed the point of the question completely!!!
    He was asking about using the matrix as another mix/aux as is all input channels being available at the
    at the matrix mix.

And….if you adjust the mix/aux levels on a channel that will only change the levels on the mix you
    are adjusting not any other level associated with that channel.
    Now….if any of the mixes/auxes are set to post fade then adjusting the main LR mix will change the
    levels on the post fade mixes/auxes.

volounteer
    Participant

@#MikeC

a matrix is not a mix

moving the faders will change the matrix
    as well as anything else on the main layer they go to
    but will not change the mix which is another layer that is independent

he wishes (this is the suggestion forum) that they would make matrix a mix
    but like @alex A&H said he cannot do it today

maybe some day in the future with a newer AH device … maybe

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

a matrix is not a mix

I am so well aware of that!!!

Your terminology and use of layers and mixes is a little confusing!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec
    so is the Qu!
    when I push a mix button it acts like a layer to me, with the faders all shifting to the mix setting

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

when I push a mix button it acts like a layer to me, with the faders all shifting to the mix setting

after all these months with postings from you, this is still unclear to you?
    I’m perplexed

the mix buttons have nothing to do with the layers

the layer selection defines what is present on all the strips
    just 3 joices on the QU
    input layer (all mic input strips)
    output layer (includes matrixes, fx sends, fx returns, stereo inputs, mix masters and bus master where available)
    custom layer (here you can configure what is dedicated to the strips, empty by default)

the mix button defines the function of the fader on that strips
    and enables sends on faders and the functions pre/assign to the selected mix
    and at the same time the master strip becomes the master for this mix
    the select mute and PAFL buttons still have the same functionality

SteffenR
    Participant

I would certainly be willing to give up a soft key to gain the ability to adjust the mix levels feeding a matrix using faders! If anyone knows how I might accomplish this, please let me know.

you have to buy an Avantis or dLive

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, i am also missing to have Sends on Faders to control the sendlevels of the busses to a matrix. I am not talking about sending input channels to a matrix. But the current procedere is really uncomfortable.
    What is possible at the moment is using the touch screen or the channel to all mixes button for a selected bus.
    There is a assignable mix select option for soft buttons. But you can only choose busses but no matrix. I cannot see any reason for this redundancy since all of these possible option are already assigned to buttons, the dedicated, unchangable mix select buttons on the right side of the console.
    And for me, Steffen, this simple enhancement should not be the reason to buy a system which costs at least five times more than a SQ.
    And, by the way, we are here in a feature suggestion forum. Don’t forget this.

SteffenR
    Participant

And for me, Steffen, this simple enhancement should not be the reason to buy a system which costs at least five times more than a SQ.
    And, by the way, we are here in a feature suggestion forum. Don’t forget this.

I don’t forget this… but this is the correct answer to the question above
    at least at the moment 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.