Mastering FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mastering FX

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anthony1974
    anthony1974
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’ve mostly got my QU16 set up, but have a query about the best way to integrate a BBE 822i Sonic Maximiser. Ideally I’d like to use it post FX and Mix returns before the final sound is sent to the DAW and/or speakers. Is it possible to do this and if so how?

Thanks,
    Anthony.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The general answer is that there is no need for a Sonic Maximiser when using a quality board like a QU along with a proper sound system.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@anthony

like @mikec said you do not need it

digital boards are not like analog ones where you patch in outboard gear to send the signal out process it, and then re-insert it

if you must then send the signal out from another out port, process it, put in via a new channel you patch to continue to the final out for the DAW

or you could just process it in the DAW if you really need maximising

anthony1974
    Participant

Hi Mike & Volounteer,

The QU16 is a great desk and I appreciate the flexibility that digital mixers offer, but for my musical tastes, I prefer to use a mix of internal QU16 effects and external effects. The BBE does lift a mix (I’ve used it already with the QU16), and as far as I could see there is no Exciter preset in the QU16 internal FX.

In “Setup”, I’m looking at the “I/O patch” screen I can see Alt Out and AES Out, these have several options for I believe the source that you can send to the Alt Out, but I am looking at Mix 3+4 (only ones I have not in use already). I’m assuming I can then route Mix 3+4 to the Alt out as long as I can find a return path to use in the traditional way. My only query is Mix 3+4 are both mono channels, so will assigning them to the Alt Out make them a linked stereo pair, or would I have to double up on mix settings for mix 3 and 4 because they would still be treated individually?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The return path would be any open channel, just make sure you do not send that channel
    back into it self by routing that channel to the external FX unit that is being returned
    to that channel.

What does you sonic maximized mix sound like on different speakers.
    Keep in mind that if your doing an A B comparison of the sonic max bypassed and then engaged if the level is even slightly louder overall or even within different frequency ranges you ears will trick you into thinking that it actually better sounding.

volounteer
    Participant

@anthony1974

What @mikec said

Do keep in mind that all you can do is make the sound different. You cannot make the sound better.
    You make like it more. But please realize that this is all 100.00000% subjective.

If this is just for you to listen to then go for it if it makes you happy.
    But if this is for a wider audience then realize that they really just wont care.

We have the same issue at our church. A few golden ear types will diddle the sound to make it ‘better’. They are happy but —
    Never heard anyone in the audience say anything other than the music was too loud or the pastor was too soft to hear.
    Still waiting to hear anyone else say that that f/x, or whatever, really made the sound great today.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sometime the best FX are the one you don’t really hear when there being used.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

You can achieve that same exact thing by not using any FX at all:)

The point is that it is all very subjective.

And my experience is that the audience does not care whether you have them or not.
    Seems like the only person the FX are for is the person doing the mixing.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

You can achieve that same exact thing by not using any FX at all:)

The point is that it is all very subjective.

And my experience is that the audience does not care whether you have them or not.
    Seems like the only person the FX are for is the person doing the mixing.

so wrong…

SteffenR
    Participant

@anthony1974

use any stereo mix instead, it’s easier as two mono mixes
    since these are on XLR outputs already you can plug them to the BBE and your return could be any stereo channel or two mono channels
    the QU has no real hardware insert points available that’s why you have to do it like this

anthony1974
    Participant

@mikec/@Volounteer, thanks for your input, yes music is all subjective, sound, arrangement, style etc etc.

I like the sound of the BBE, having listened to it through several sets of speakers and headphones, it applies a subtle lift and separation to the mix, subjectively, giving more clarity to sounds.

@steffen R I’ve used up Mix’s 5-10 already, and mix 1 & 2, so 3 & 4 is all I have left. I have a small submixer that is capturing return paths from some external gear I am using and returning it to a couple of QU-16 Channels as a stereo pair.

Already as a compromise in my thinking, instead of using the BBE as a post all, before sending the L/R path to the DAW (Cubase 10), I’m just going to use it like a regular FX, and be able to control the individual send levels of each channel to the BBE.

So now all I really need to know is if Outputs 3&4 can be combined and controlled by one mix fader, instead of having to use 3L/4R and effectively mix separately for the left and right channels of the mix (unless there is a way to copy one channel to another, then I could just adjust the pan?).

I think it is a miss by A&H if they didn’t make outputs 1-4 switchable mono sends vs 2 stereo pairs or a combination of the two. Should be in a software update, if there is a place to suggest that let me know.

Just as an aside, I was checking out the QU16 FX the other day and used an effect called Kraftwork, as soon as I selected it I got a huge amount of feedback! None of the other presets in that category had that effect, is that a bug, is there a place to report it?

Thanks,
    Anthony.

SteffenR
    Participant

Anthony
    the mixer was designed with small gigs in mind,
    and it’s very easy to understand and to handle

the studio capabilities are an extra use case
    if you struggle with the resources of the board it could be the time to upgrade to an SQ
    this has all the features you need

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So now all I really need to know is if Outputs 3&4 can be combined and controlled by one mix fader,

You could assign those mixes to a DCA group to control them with a single fader, however the QU16 does not have dedicated faders for the DCA’s so you would to use the QU PAD app to control that function.

Just as an aside, I was checking out the QU16 FX the other day and used an effect called Kraftwork, as soon as I selected it I got a huge amount of feedback

It sounds like you looped the FX back into itself, do not turn up the FX send on that same FX return channel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.