make channels name recallable

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions make channels name recallable

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christoph
    Christoph
    Participant

I am working with many HoW & churches, most of them have a pool of musicians which participate in always changing band setups, many audio engineers are volunteers.

It would be great, if the channel lib would offer a switch “recall name”. Right now the workflow is slow: recall channel, tap preamp section, tap name, change name, hit apply, next. Why not offer a solution to recall the names, too?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@christoph

I am still learning all the quirks of our Qu.
    Can’t you save scenes and get that when you recall a specific scene?

I see channel names on our Qu, which the MD of the church had assigned, when I recall our scenes for Weds and Sunday.

Christoph
    Participant

Imagine a wordhip team instead of a worshib band. Today peter plays piano and sings, his vocals on ch. 27. next sunday he is the lead singer, same mic but ch. 1.

Right now you recall all channels, tap the headamp on screen, change names.

Of couse there are a lot of workarounds, but recalling channelstrips from the library is the one task you always do. So why not enable recalling the name, too?

Profile photo of Ash
    Ash
    Participant

The easiest way is to not worry about people’s names, and label with channel description, for band and singers. This is same method at each of our campuses. Channel order is same across locations too. So any audio engineer can walk in and now where very channel is.

We just use
    Elec 1 always lead guitar
    Elec 2 always rhythm guitar (not always 2 guitars)
    Acc Accoustic
    Key 1 main piano keys
    Key 2 Synth

WL Worship leader
    BV 1 Brn Brown
    BV 2 Red Red
    BV 3 Grn Green
    BV 4 Blu Blue

MC Mc mic channel
    Headset Preaching headset

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Kinda related… For churches, it’d be great to be able to recall individual channels instead of entire scenes or shows. I mean, every week the worship band is consists of 1 of 3 or 4 drummers, 1 of 4 guitarists, 1 of 4 bassists, 0-4 of probably 10 BGVs, etc. It’s not really practical to have a different scene/show for every combination of musicians (it’s well into the thousands of combinations once you consider vocalists). Like, being able to easily recall, say, Bob’s drum settings or John’s guitar settings or whatever, instead just one monolithic scene would be probably the single greatest gift to churches I can think of.

Christoph
    Participant

You might want to check the library functions – you already can recall very detailed channel stuff. Whole channel, EQ only, Comp only, whatever section you like.

The one thing which you cannot store in a lib is the channel name. Hence my suggestion. 🙂

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Is that available in Director? Clicking on the “Lib” button doesn’t seem to do a lot on most screens.

Edit: Oh, wait, I think I found it. Thanks!

Christoph
    Participant

Select a channel, Processing Screen, Overview, hit “Lib”: the input channel library opens.

Same for every subscreen like PEQ, Inserts, Dynamics,…

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

We aren’t on dLive yet, but if they added channel names to the library recall options, we would definitely utilize it.
    Would be nice to see it on the older iLive while we are still using it, but I know that won’t happen.

Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

and Why when you reset the channel, it doesn’t reset everything including gain and names. Sometimes I need to clear like 8 input strips. It takes forever to zero out everything. Makes no sense at all.
    A zero out surface strip button would be amazing.
    Why doesn’t channel library save everything!!
    I don’t get it. And why when I change socket, it changes the preamp settings.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

and Why when you reset the channel, it doesn’t reset everything including gain and names.

Check the scene filters and global safes. It will recall whatever is needed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The easiest way is to not worry about people’s names, and label with channel description, for band and singers. This is same method at each of our campuses. Channel order is same across locations too. So any audio engineer can walk in and now where very channel is.

Same here, I think it’s also make for a faster eye to hand workflow, if I need to turn
    up the acoustic guitar channel I reach the the channel labeled “Acoustic” and not have to think that’s Steve playing acoustic today.

Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

That’s ridiculous, I don’t want to make a scene to save the channel settings.
    Gets too convoluted.
    Must be fun in a festival situation when you have to make a head amp scene to soft patch the stage because surface strips don’t save head amp settings. What is the purpose of this?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The preamp settings change when you change the socket because the preamp settings (like gain, phantom power, etc) are stored at the hardware level on the preamp. If you change the socket to another input, you are changing the physical preamp (unless you are double patched and just happen to be going to the second channel of the same preamp) and the console will reflect the current settings of the new preamp.

I realize that using software it surely is possible to have the system save the current preamp settings and copy them over to the new preamp when changing inputs for a channel, but I guess Allen & Heath have decided that is too complicated or undesirable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.