Main stereo meters odd behavior

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Main stereo meters odd behavior

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I have a single input channel with music playing panned center and turned up in the L/R stereo mix and the two big meters are displaying the levels as they should.

I continue to let the music play, I choose Mix 9/10 and the same music from the same input is also turned up into Mix 9/10,… but the big meters never respond to Mix 9/10 master fader, in fact,…. no matter what mix I choose, the big meters are always displaying the Main L/R levels.

I thought I could hit Mix 9/10 button, then hit the select button in the master section and see levels on the big meters.

Shouldn’t the big meters always display the levels of whatever mix is selected, as long as the “SEL” button is pushed in the master section?

Strange to not have levels displayed on the nice big meters.
    Sorry to be so redundant with the term “big meters” but I wanted to be perfectly clear with my question.
    Dan

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Nope, that’s the correct behaviour. The big meter follows the PAFL bus. With nothing PAFLed, you can choose for the default LR to be routed there. The Sel key selects a channel, but does not PAFL it.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

thanks mervaka, but I am not talking about using PFL or AFL.
    I simply want the output level of the mix that is selected with the SEL pushed in the master section.

You said…

“The Sel key selects a channel, but does not PAFL it.”

There is a select button for each mix output too, but it doesn’t route the output level to the big meters.

It doesn’t work the way I think it should and was posting mainly for A&H.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

You missed the part where I said the PAFL (big) meter and bus can default to LR post fader when nothing is explicitly PAFLed.

Do you mean the Mix buttons down the side of the master strip? The only Sel buttons for mix channels are in the top layer of the main fader bank. The Mix buttons only select different mix channels when the master strip is selected, and won’t affect the PAFL meter or bus. I agree that it would be nice if the PAFL bus/meter followed the Mix buttons if the master strip was PAFLed.

EDIT: like this: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/pafl-follows-mix-selection

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

you said,,, “I agree that it would be nice if the PAFL bus/meter followed the Mix buttons if the master strip was PAFLed.”
    well kinda,,,

I am not talking about using PFL or AFL (PAFL) for the master fader, simply selecting for instance,
    MIX 5-6 (down the right side) it would be nice if the levels for that mix were immediately displayed on the big meters without having to hit the PAFL button.

I completely understand all the features on the console but was surprised that the main L/R meters do not follow the mix that is selected ,,,, yes,,, down the right side, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10.

Thanks for trying to help. 🙂
    Again I was pointing this towards A&H.
    Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.