Main Mix L/R Insert

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Main Mix L/R Insert

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JTRJAMMER JTRJAMMER 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JTRJAMMER
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Hello All,
    Apologies if discussed previously. I have an insert set up on the Main Mix L/R with sends going out sockets Local 1 and Local 2. The Returns are set up using input socket 1/2. Looking at the signal path diagrams in the manual the insert appears to be a break in the signal path where I thought that if the returns were set to -Inf DB/Faders all the way down, there would be no signal passing to the Main L/R output. However in the current set up I have that doesn’t seem to be the case as signal is still passing with the return fader all the way down. Questions, is this correct or have I missed something in the routing, setup or I/O Matrix? Also, is there any way to control the send level?

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi JtrJammer,

No, there is no control of the send level of an insert point.

returns were set to -Inf DB/Faders all the way down,

Which return fader do you mean? There is no Return level control in the SQ.

If you mean the return level control on your external gear, then your insert point is not active, you have to switch it “in” (green)
    greetings,
    dd

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

I have the sends assigned to output sockets 1 and 2. The returns are plugged into local input socket 1/2 and I have those inputs as source select for Ip 1 and 2. When I move the faders to unity you can definitely hear the outboard gear, as I lower the fader you can hear the effect reduced until you drop the fader all the way down and the signal is dry, but the main mix is still passing to the outputs for L/R Main. So maybe I made a really bad mistake to assign those return sockets as an Ip source? Was thinking it was more like an FX send/FX return.

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

So a mistake to assign those return sockets as an Ip source?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

So maybe I made a really bad mistake to assign those return sockets as an Ip source?

yes… I guess it’s a possible double patch

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Strange thing is that both channels (Ips) on the return came up automatically padded as if the system had some awareness. Also agree it seems like it is some kind of double patch because when I mute those channels there is still signal passing to the L/R Mix so guessing there has to be another path beside the insert which I haven’t been able to find looking at the schematics.

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Or muting is just taking out the double patch : )

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

patch-bays are independent from processing paths
    you can use input sockets on multiple positions
    and it’s possible to patch bus sends to different sockets at the same time…

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

You do not need any input channel to return your signal from the master insert.

When you’ve patched the return sockets correct in the insert screen of your master bus, and the insert is “ON”, then the signalflow is opened and will go thru your output gear. You can control this behaviour very easily: with disconnected Return cables, no Signal has to go thru!

All the best,
    dd

JTRJAMMER
    Participant

dd, thanks. Yes was incorrectly thinking of the insert like an FX bus.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.