Main LR to induction loop

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Main LR to induction loop

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JLD JLD 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I’m setting up a GLD-80 in a new venue with an induction loop. The loop amplifier is wired into dSNAKE output 12. What’s the best way of having this follow the main LR mix?

Is it possible to mix the LR mix to a mono aux?

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

Use a mono Matrix.
    Then you can set a compressor and filters, users of hearing aid normally request less dynamic and more 2 to 4 kHz to get the vocals.

It will at the same time be easy to Mute, if not needed or problem with electric guitars etc. occurs.

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

You certainly can do that, but my preference would be to use a mono aux fed post fade from just the speech mics (or whatever else you wanted). That way you get to send ONLY what is necessary to the loop. You could also add an ambience mic to that, but my experience is that just makes things LESS intelligible. Sadly there is no ducker on the GLD, otherwise that might work well with the ambience being ducked by the speech mics.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Thanks for your advice. I haven’t ever used a Matrix before, but skimming the docs, it looks fairly straightforward and like it would do what I wanted. I’ve also just spotted that, for a super-simple set-up, I could just route the main L (or R) down the loop output (in addition to the existing outputs that are wired to the main FOH amps). Everything’s panned centrally, so no issue there.

However, you both make interesting points about the loop users perhaps not wanting just the FOH mix. Sounds like I should arrange to get some input from them to see what they prefer.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

Agree, with Mike that an aux will work well, We use an combination.

Below is an example, Little bit more initial adjustment but we have found work to everyones satisfaction. Nearly install and forget.
    In our installation we have a matrix to the induction loop.
    This matrix is feed from the main LCR signal and an AUX (post fader) with only the vocal and speech mics.
    The Aux is feed to the Matrix a little hotter then the LCR signal.
    As an extra. We use a third Aux as well, normally used for recording, to catch the ambient, set quite low in the matrix. (the loop will newer be quiet)
    With compression on the matrix the speech and vocal will stand out but everything will be there in the induction loop, to the users satisfaction.
    We have a low pass filter set quite high for the loop in order to reduce the power sent out.

The more you learn the more possabilities you will find, but dont forget. Dont do it more complex then you ore other users can handle. It may end up in a total mess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.