Main L/R Eq

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Main L/R Eq

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tobi Tobi 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

Hello everyone,

A slight EQ correction is needed on the left side of my FOH,
    other than sacrificing two Matrixes, is there a way?

Thanks

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Use only one Matrix for the left Channel.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I’m sure the “issue” is that you have to select an even number of matrixes. So unless the OP has a need for another mono matrix, you’ll end up having to burn 2 busses.

Allen and Heath – It would be great if you could select an odd number of mono busses across the total buss types. Right now you can’t. For example, if you need 3 mono aux and 3 mono groups, you end up having to use 8 busses instead of just 6. It’s silly IMHO and a major design flaw.

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

OK, my SQ is new, MainLR Pan and Matrix Pan are deactivated (probably to avoid accidental modification), which menu should I go through to display it?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

MainLR and Matrix dont have Pan I think? Is it needed? My suggestion was: Use one Stereo-Matrix and do the “left-EQ-thing” there. Then patch left speaker to Matrix-Left, and the Right-Speaker to Main-Right. Then you only need one Matrix. And no panning.

Best Regards.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

@brian: I have no clue what you mean by “even/uneven number of matrixes”. Could you explain a bit more? As far as I know, we have 3 Matrixes, which is uneven??

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

Maybe make it simpler:
    Can Powerful GEQs (paid) delink their stereo?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Dont think so. Or ist there a link Button in the ui?

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

1-Will going through a Matrix for the left side burn two XLR outputs? (2 Main+ 2 Matrix= 4 outs)?

2-Is this allow me to equalize my general L/R while keeping the small correction on the left, but isn’t two digital equalizers on top of each other too much?
    I’m thinking especially of the phase modification (is there a Linear Phased among the GEQs?),
    wouldn’t the sound be better with only my Klark Teknik 2×32 Band at the output?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi tutu,

1 – I am sorry — do you have an SQ available? In the IO-Patch you decide, which signal is send to which physical output. So no, you “burn” only 2 outputs.

2 – In general you send a “copy” of the MainLR to the Matrix. So every EQ or whatever you do on MainLR is on the Matrix, too. But you can use additional processing on the Matrix.

You find more information about the GEQ’s here: https://www.allen-heath.com/sq-series/sq-add-on-processing/sq-geq/

If you have external gear you want to use, because it sounds better of phasing stuff, you should check that worth yourself… I don’t have a Klark Teknik 2×32 at hand…

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of tutu13
    tutu13
    Participant

>do you have an SQ available? In the IO-Patch you decide, which signal is send to which physical output. So no, you “burn” only 2 outputs.

.. but yeah of course !!! (I’ve a SQ-5)

Thanks for the link, GEQ’s sound better than the basic graphic EQ?

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

For me I dont have problems. Neither EQ nor GEQ.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

@brian: I have no clue what you mean by “even/uneven number of matrixes”. Could you explain a bit more? As far as I know, we have 3 Matrixes, which is uneven??

Well first off, I didn’t pay attention to the fact that this was in the SQ forum (I typically view new posts only). That’s my fault. Although my experience is mainly related to Avantis and DLive systems, it is semi-relevant to the SQ series as well. With the Avantis and DLive systems which allows user selected buss types, you cannot have a odd number of busses chosen for any mix type. Look at my example again….. if you only need 3 mono groups and 3 mono auxes, the system actually requires that you use 4 mono busses in each buss type because it won’t allow an “odd” number of mono busses for any given buss type. In this example, the system will require you use 4 mono group busses and 4 mono aux busses. This is the case even when your total mono busses adds up to an even number over all as in my example: 3+3 is only 6 busses (an even number), but the system requires you use 4+4 using 8 busses with 2 mono busses simply being wasted.

With the SQ series, it is semi-related because you cannot split a “stereo” matrix into two mono matrix. So while you can have three mono matrixes, it actually uses all three stereo matrix. You cannot have 6 mono matrix for example even though there are technically 6 unique audio paths being used in a 3 stereo matrix setup.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Ahhh… Now it makes sense…

Best Regards!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.