MADI sync issues

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting MADI sync issues

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

I’ve been fighting MADI sync issues on my Dlive systems,

it all works fine when I only send audio from a madi interface to the Dlive, then i select surface i/o port 4 where my madi card is installed as my sync and all is fine..but, when i also receive from the dlive (inserts or record) that’s when i lose sync and get noises clicks stuttering etc…it’s as if I have one clock too many or none at all… this is on MAC oS 10.13 using UB-Madi interfaces…and in this case Qlab and Live Professor2 for running my plug in as inserts it works fine for a few minutes but eventually it fails….

thx

Ray

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Ray

Sorry that you’re seeing issues.

My first thought is that perhaps the dLive is trying to sync from the UB-MADI, but the UB-MADI is itself trying to sync from the dLive, creating a loop where the system is always chasing its own tail. I wonder what happens if you simply set the dLive to be clock master? It seems unusual to source the audio clock for your system from a USB device attached to a laptop.

Cheers

– Jeff

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Thanks ahjeff…I have always had to sync playback from the ub madi..there’s noise otherwise…from the ub madi site :

As UB MADI is fully digital end-to-end and isn’t reliant on USB’s data clock for timing, jitter is not an issue. All audio data is recovered and input clock tolerance massively exceeds the AES minimum specification.With no input connected, UB MADI will clock the MADI output to its own highly stable internal clock.

However, if a valid MADI, AES3 or Word Clock are detected on the input, this will be used as the system clock.

I will try synching from the Dlive and see if the issue persists…

thx

Ray

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

ok, so clocking from the dlive seems to solve the issue when i have both playback and recording or inserts hosting on the same madi interface at the same time, however, now a new issue….the network a&H tcp midi as well as the wired network went bonkers…all of a sudden the dlive would not implement any midi program/scene changes after working fine all day..and then out of the blue it performed 4-5 (multiple) rapid scene changes all in the same sequence, unplugged the router no change, wired direct no change…re booted no change, change the surface nothing worked..the faders also had issues as if they were controlled from another surface…weird stuff…used my second mixrack (dm32) with same surface and that was ok.. network fault somehow? 1.63 mac os 10.13….thsi system had been working fine all year….re-install firmware?

thx

ray

Profile photo of Ben A&H
    Ben A&H

Hi Ray,
    I think it’s probably best if you could send over your show file and logs to support@allen-heath.com so we can look into this properly for you!
    Cheers,
    Ben

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

will do

thx

Ray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.