LR as Master faders for EVERYTHING!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting LR as Master faders for EVERYTHING!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jport jport 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

Does anyone know if there is a way to make or assign the master faders (LR) to fade everything at once if so desired? Meaning, when bringing the LR mains down or up, that would also bring down or up all other mixes (assigned) as well.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I do not believe so. Most uses I can imagine would require the Mixes to NOT follow the mains. If you want fills/delays to follow the mains fader just use the Alt Out. I just use the 16, so I don’t know about the matrices on the larger models.

What configuration are you using that would require such a setup???

Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

It’s a permanent install into a mono system with multiple speakers and a bit of out of the ordinary coverage area. We have a speaker distribution system but it’s a little more complicated than just having 1 outbound mix to cover all areas and speakers, so the thought of having the L&R to be able to control all levels sent to all mixes/areas at once is appealing for some situations.

Dick Rees
    Participant

So…

Which console: 16, 24 or 32?

Exactly how many different mixes do you need to control?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Mapping a DCA to that fader could be useful I suppose, but is an edge case. Given a mono mix you have four outputs already (L,R, Alt L and Alt R) with those being multiply assignable if badly needed.

Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

Qu-16. about 3 mixes. I haven’t used the DCA yet, but will explore that a bit.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You may route the LR back to a spare channel (i.e. ST input) and feed the mixes from that channel. Extra D/A-A/D path, but probably not an issue here.

Dick Rees
    Participant

That still doesn’t get enough separate mixes. You might use a DCA to control ST1 and ST2, feeding them from Mixes 1-4 and routing the outputs via two or more stereo Mixes.

This would give the maximum number of stems and “single fader” control on the custom layer, not the mains fader.

Of course, this requires some hard-patching.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Alternatively, you could feed four Mixes to a 4 in/8 out DSP and use computer control of the volume level(s) with a single control.

Profile photo of jport
    jport
    Participant

Thanks everybody, unfortunately re-patching or creative routing takes up additional channels and is not really an option. We are pretty maxed out with inputs and feeds to and from recordings, monitors, computers, cameras, video, etc…each already having an appropriate permanent place, and things can get quite complicated as it is.

Also, everything works well as it is, this would simply be a really nice addition and I wasn’t sure if it was possible but I’m seeing that it doesn’t look like it is.

Dick Rees
    Participant

If you’d give a full description of all your inputs, outputs and further needs then perhaps the proper answer could be given. As is, the “question” is still without full context, so don’t quit here.

If you want to control “everything” with one master fader, then tell us what “everything” is. Otherwise it’s pretty much a waste of time.

Dick Rees
    Participant

If you’re not currently using the network port you can use it to add a MIDI controller and program it to do what you want…depending on whatever that turns out to be.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I may be missing something, but can’t you just assign a DCA to L+R and whichever other outputs you want to use? OK, so its not the master fader that works it, you’ll need to work it from the custom layer, but it gets you close to what you want.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Mark…

I just checked DCA assignment while you were posting and you are correct. One DCA fader can control all the outputs. Not as complicated as I’d like, but 😉

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If it’s a mono mix the it would only eat one input, if you are truly maxed out then you could massively abuse the talkback channel.

Ok, you lose talkback, but you can have that latched on with the current firmware…

I haven’t checked if talkback gets retained on reboot or scene recalls.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.