Low level from alt out

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Low level from alt out

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of idealtrucks
    idealtrucks
    Participant

To answer Mike C, nothing at all changed from the analog board switch out. The old board went bad, and I bought the other, and plugged it up same way.

I did have a chance to do a little testing last night after service. Had things going on and been busy…
    During a song with the KB and vocals, I checked the PAFL on the KB and level was around -6. I check the PAFL on the LR mix and the 7-8 mix, and it was showing around -16 on the meter. Same for both mixes. Levels in house are good.
    After service, I tried the signal generator at 0db on mix 7-8, and the level from my video mixer was high.

So, maybe I need more pre-amp gain on all channels, and turn down the LR amps? Forgive my ignorance please.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@idealtrucks

There are many metering places on the Qu and they do not all agree as they measure different things differently.

Did you first ring out the room and also set the level on LR to feed the amps to the speakers at the desired volume?
    Your ears and an SPL meter should be used primarily , not the meters on the Qu , to set that level right.
    If so then you should be increasing gain on the input channels if there is not enough output signal.

Our output levels are set where the MD put them to please most of the people in the audience.
    We never touch those.

If anything seems low we increase the gain on the channel strips as needed.

If you switched from analog like we did, then you may be fooled by the dB markings on the Qu.
    Most of those should be dBFS not the dBV or dBu that you might be used to.
    dBFS will seem to be 18dB lower, as other threads here discussed, as there is headroom added to stop clipping.

If you are going by the old dB numbers you were used to then yes you will think the outputs are low.
    Increase the gain in the channel strips.

Depending how you set the LR and your power amp there will be different amount of input signal needed from the channel strips.

Our preamps run from -5 to +60dB gain as I read the screen. And you can normally increase a bit with the faders, or lower the sound a lot with them. Usually adjust the preamps so that most faders sit near 0 to make the operation more intuitive to the volounteer of the day.

So yes from what you said it is likely that you may want to turn down the LR amps and increase the gain on the channel strips.

idealtrucks
    Participant

I didn’t do any adjustment on the amps for stage monitors or LR when I installed the board. I adjusted the pre-amp gain on the channels so that it was close to the volume needed with the fader at 0 like you said.
    Sounds like I may need to turn down the amps some and the channel gain up.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

A good way to set your main amp is to play a commercial CD that’s of a style and loudness of a type performed on stage through the system. Use one of the stereo inputs and set gains, fader, and LR fader to 0db. Now set your amp to a level that sounds right to you. Check with a meter if you’re aiming for a maximum dB amount. Now make sure soundboard operators never move the LR fader from 0db. Do the same with your stage monitors. Being able to keep output faders at 0db will allow consistency in setting up each performance day by day.

volounteer
    Participant

@idealtrucks

I agree. Do that if you feel better with those numbers or if that helps noise or other quality issues.
    Or, if there is no sound problem then readjust your thinking to the different dB levels.
    Just keep reminding yourself that dBFS is NOT the old dB your analog desk used.

and like @garyh said once you set the LR fader at 0 and adjust the power amps never touch either of them again.
    Make all adjustments via the channel strips and the preamps they use.

idealtrucks
    Participant

garyh, the CD played through the stereo input is another strange thing. I have gained turned all the way down on that channel, and it still will not stop sound from coming through. I suppose that’s coming from the CD player.

I’ll keep you all updated with what happens

volounteer
    Participant

@idealtruck

Is it possible to post a diagram of your set up and label all inputs and outputs and connectors used as well as just where you are measuring levels and in what units? Also what preamp gain is noted on the screen for each channel.

Does lowering the faders on that channel stop the sound? Does mute completely kill the sound?

The CD player is line output in stereo and needs to be put in the TS connectorS not the XLRs which is mike level.
    Are you using the numbered line inputs or Stereo 1/2 or Stereo 3?
    If you used Stereo 12-3 did you adjust the faders on the blue level ?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.