loudness measurement

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions loudness measurement

This topic contains 34 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

– solo/speech finisher
    – handheld microphone placement optimizer
    – room dereverberator
    – motownizer
    – frontman remover
    – guitar de-amplifier

Now we’re talking about what we really need!!!

Some of the stuff you’ve mentioned recently exists only in your own imagination.

True!!!

As for AI mixing live and a replacing a competent sound person….never!
    Tell me how AI would know or “feel” the need to pull back background vocalist 2 a bit in the mix on part of song, know when to put a delay effect on one word at the end of a phrase, add touch of verb on the snare rim shots on one part, bring up the lead vocal in the monitor when the singer gives you hand signs like pointing to their mouth then pointing down to the monitor and then giving an up gesture with their hand and sometimes it not even that clear!

No amount of toys, software, plugins, processing will take the place of a competent sound person on a properly set up system be it small or large.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Furthermore the sound engineer is at least 50% psychologist and has to deal with all that type of characters on the stage. How can this be done by an AI console? And no, LISA did not do the job.
    But there is a console announced which promise to have a portion of AI in it. There are rumors since one and a half year approx. But at the moment this product is still not available.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

You forget that their is a cost to everything and some things cost more than other folks will pay for it.
    For those folks with the small wallets that are very thin, using AI for mixing/mastering would be perfect.
    It gives them sound they are happy with at a price they will pay.

And there are a number of AI mixing/mastering services already. Some may not be fully automated but that is coming.
    Some are fully automated and create a plenty good enough mix if not the perfect one some folks they need or could DIY.

Do keep in mind that a lot of the tweaking some golden eared types think is needed for perfection only is needed for them, and the rest of the world does not care about such ‘improvements’.

@mfk0815

Lisa was an early attempt. Things have improved. I just read about a program creating custom foley to match a video you play. People think the sounds are real not generated. It has some minor timing problems for fast things like typing but for most sounds you can’t find anything that says it is fake.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I just read about a program creating custom foley to match a video you play. People think the sounds are real not generated. It has some minor timing problems for fast things like typing but for most sounds you can’t find anything that says it is fake.

Wow – link please!

How does it manage sounds for things that don’t actually appear on screen? Does it also read the script?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

Thought it was the current hard copy of wired magazine, but I am not seeing it there now.
    Could have been latest IEEE Spectrum magazine. I am sure it was today but don’t remember where.
    If it was an online newsletter then I deleted it already. I also toss the mags after I read them.

This might be it
    //spectrum.ieee dot org/tech-talk/artificial-intelligence/machine-learning/new-ai-dupes-humans-into-believing-synthesized-sound-effects-are-real
    and this one is very similar
    //futurism dot com/the-byte/ai-generated-sound-effects-fooling-human

Wired had some old links that I cant read until I renew my subscription.
    wired dot com /2016/04/skywalker-sound-foley-art/
    /2016/06/mit-artificial-sound-effects/
    /2016/04/skywalker-sound-foley-artist/

Not foley but AI related and similar:
    /story/ai-magic-makes-century-old-films-look-new/#intcid=_wired-homepage-right-rail_1df4d905-2dea-4301-85df-da2f6b4aa4bb_popular4-1

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.