lock channels in DCA spill

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions lock channels in DCA spill

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of advance
    advance
    Participant

I’m realy enjoying the new DCA spill with the spill selected option a lot.
    But I’m missing heavily the option to lock all or some of the DCA Masters in place when I’m spilling one. So you could lock all your 8 DCA to the most right strips and could spill to the remaining strips on the left.
    I love that on other consoles because you never loose control of your whole mix. You have your spill tracks on your left, where you need to fix something. But if something else gets out of balance in the meanwhile, you can easily cope, because you still have control over the bigger picture on your right.
    As it is now, you need to press some buttons first, before you can do so. That’s often just not fast enough.

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I agree with this 100%. I just added a SQ5 and SQ7 to our inventory and so far the only thing I do not like about the SQ is how the other VCAs disappear when using the spill feature. An option to lock all of the VCAs to the surface when spilling the contents of a VCA would be great. The ability to immediately select another VCA to access the contributions to that VCA will substantially improve the VCA spill usability on the SQ series.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

a workaround for the moment could be
    to add the “DCA spill” buttons to the User keys
    that saves one button press

and you can easyly build a DCA group with your money channels as a “POP Group”

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Sorry, terminology? I don’t know what “POP Group” means.

Thanks.

D.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Midas Pro series… Population groups
    a button that spills a group of channels (populates them on the surface)

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Ah. Thank you.

D.

Profile photo of KilianB
    KilianB
    Participant

Yes, please!

Other DCA faders staying on the current layer while spilling would be perfect!

Profile photo of Rob T
    Rob T
    Participant

I’ll +1 on this, as it should also solve the issue of the DCA fader (and select) location moving during DCA Spill with Spill-on-Select. The “always move the DCA fader all the way to the right” behavior that currently exists means that unless your DCA is already on the rightmost strip, if you are using Spill-on-Select, your “select” and “deselect” buttons (to enter and exit spill) are in different locations.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’ll add another vote for this.

I guess though, that on the SQ5 especially, taking up 8 faders for DCA doesn’t leave many for the group to spill into, so the ability to choose which ones stay fixed may be required, which would complicate things again.

On my SQ6 I’ve tried putting 4 DCAs on the soft rotaries, with the button under them doing the spill. But then there’s other things I like on the soft rotaries too and although I can set scenes to swap functions that complicates it all again.

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Even on the SQ5, fixing the DCA is still the way to go IMO. A PRO1/2C only has 8 faders to spill to and the VCA/POP spill is great. Often times you are under 8 channels in VCA, and a secondary push of the spill could toggle the bank as needed to the next set of faders (based on how ever many faders are available to spill and the number of channels in it that need to spill).

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi everyone, Hi Keith,

+1
    for a way to fix the position of the DCA Strip on the Layer

+1
    for the possibility to fix a channel in all Layers

I think it will become very tricky to find a good solution to implement this features, but they will make life really a little bit easier. The idea, that the DCA master will swap all to the right is an easy way to solve some ordering conflicts. BUT it is really NOT THE BEST solution….

In my eyes it a little unlucky solution… because when I switch something on, I want to use the SAME switch, to switch this off (redo the swap). So DCA Spill on one Button, an then this button is gone… really don’t like this behaviour!

Maybe A&H can add little lock buttons in the surface tab (where via trag&trop the channel strips get sorted on the layer) every channel can have a button to lock the position there on every Layer.
    And the DCA can get a second button, to lock the DCA on that particular Layer.
    So the Surface design will become even more individual! YEAH!!

And this (at least for me) is one of the REALLY BIG tings of the SQ to create the Surface Layout as THE USER want it to be! Ok on the big consoles this is common, but on a small Print, like the SQ5 this is the big PLUS of this series

So please A&H find a way to give the users even a little bit more options to create the surface.

Thanks & greetings,
    dd

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.