Livestream op and Ipad for Qu mixes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Livestream op and Ipad for Qu mixes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Would it be possible for our livestream operator to use our Ipad to set the faders on the mix we give them so he could do it in RT without asking us to do it for him directly on the Qu?

I have seen the MD do this to the regular layer on the board. But unclear on how much the Ipad can do or if there are limits on it.
    As I recall the Ipad the MD used could not (at least easily) do certain changes remotely.

It would be nice to hand the settings he gets from the mix over to him to control without our being in the middle.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes. Since the QU-SB came out, all functions can be controlled with an iPad.

While I’m here – a week or two back, I asked you some questions to try to help with your strange feedback problems. Have you had a chance to look at these?

volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

Thanks for confirming that. I will suggest they let the livestream operator use our Ipad.

Not sure which feedback problem (senior moment?:) you are referring to.
    We never had feedback issues with the upwards compression as that has not yet been used.
    Some other folks have been complaining about sound levels and variability including the pastor hinting at that issue, so
    I am hoping that the tekkies in charge of things will start to make useful changes.

There is one potential feedback problem that I am sure of which is a standing wave that hits the pastor lavelier to cause a problem.
    That was rather position sensitive as he is tall and would not be a problem with shorter people, nor was a problem with the older over the ear held mike by the side of his mouth. We found it during a show when some group had kids moving around and raising/lowering mikes for each kid to use. One of them where the pastor would stand raised his mike stand and instant squeal which the visiting op immediately killed using their mixer.

We now use his RF lavelier mike for livestream with no problem, and use the podium mike for in house with no problem.

It might help if whoever installed the system had rung out the room first. Not sure if our MD did that or the dealer did.
    But our MD is fixing things with mike EQs on all the mikes when IMHO we should have fixed most of that with the room EQ initially.

MarkPAman
    Participant

You mentioned feedback problems in this thread, this was my attempt to help .

Change order of Eq and Compress

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You can do everything on the iPad you can do on the board.
    Such as one person mixing the mains on the board while someone else
    is mixing monitors or a live steam mix on the iPad.
    Keep in mind if the person mixing on the iPad for the live stream
    mix gets into a channel input EQ that will affect the EQ to the main mix.

I actually like the QU Mix Pad app menus better than the menus on
    the surface.

From the statements in your last post here it sounds like you have a lot of
    system set up issues that could be taken care of by someone who knows their S–t coming
    in to go through the system and properly set it up.

volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

I do appreciate all your help.

At my age I do not always quickly remember what I had discussed previously:)

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I definitely think the system could have been set up better.

Not sure if the MD did it himself to save money, or if the tech from the dealer cut corners, or what else it might be.

One thing the MD did do was try to make it both safe (he has the only admin PW for the highest level) and to give the volounteers as little as possible in the way of capability to make it easier for them. He really wanted something between the middle and lowest but could not pick and choose so the users have a bit more capability than he would like. Yellow stickies and inverted cups have helped keep them from pushing or diddling things they should not.

You made a good point and I think I will have to reconsider whether to suggest they let the livestream folks use the Ipad ap.
    The guy in charge there is young, eager, and not really a tekkie. He did a great job getting us from ground zero with nothing to having livestreams at all. But they have had a lot of growing pains; and last week he was out sick but his replacement could not figure out how to send it to the radio station as well as utoob. Letting him have access to the entire Qu functions might be risky.

He needs to train more people on what he did and what to do with the PC software to do basic functions. Probably do some other things too that I am not yet aware of.

MarkPAman
    Participant

There’s a couple of things you may like to look into that may help here:

Take a look at the iPad’s Guided Access function. This is in the iPad’s settings, and can be made to only allow some parts of the screen to respond to touch.

I have done this occasionally when working weddings etc, when you may want to leave the client with a working volume controls for background music and one mic, but block everything else until it’s time for the band.

You could use this to set it up so that only the faders to one mix are accessible.

Alternatively, Qu-Control (app for iPad or iPhone) can give you up to 15 volume controls on one page, and 5 pages in all. If the steaming person has an iPhone, then this could be a very good way to allow them the control they want without any extra cost, or surrendering your iPad.

volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

Reviewed that old thread on EQ after compression request.
    Who knew it would generate 6 pages of discussion.

For now the problem is under control as we only have one speaker and he changes slowly so riding the fader works.
    If we get any more guest speakers like the one that I wish I could forget then we could use an automated way to both control the DR as well as the level of SPL delivered to the audience. Sort of like LUFS only better as that standard allows speech to be hidden under music as proven by NPR every day.

I still believe upwards compression would help that a lot to control DR and then the ops could set the level better.

I note that many people in that discussion (https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/change-order-of-eq-and-compress)
    either thought it would not work, or would cause feedback like too much make up gain on normal compression could do.

Feedback is not a real concern here. The first issue is way too much DR. If we control DR I am sure we could set the levels to avoid feedback. My big unknowns are does it distort the orator too much or generate peaks at some frequencies which might need EQing out to avoid feedback. Would like to try that approach to find out before we used it live.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You made a good point and I think I will have to reconsider whether to suggest they let the livestream folks use the Ipad ap.

Since your live stream feed/mix is created using one of your mixes, have the live stream
    operator use the “QU You” app, that app only allows for mixing/controlling the levels on
    the mix that you set up on the app. The only thing you can control using that app is the selected mix levels per channel and the selected mix out overall processing.
    You can not get into anything that can make changes to the main mix.

Yellow stickies and inverted cups have helped keep them from pushing or diddling things they should not.

WOW…there are more issues with your system than any amount of digital processing can ever take care of!!!! And I’m using the word “system” to include the hardware set up and the personnel operating it.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Thanks for the tip on the Qu you ap.

This is a very low budget operation with a part time music director and volounteers helping as they can.
    When there is a problem the easiest quickest fix is often applied until we are forced to do it better.
    If the MD could apply detailed capability by user he would do that. As it is it is pretty much ALL = him,
    and too much = most of us at some time, hence the reminder notes. The lowest level is not adequate for some tasks we must do.

I admit that we are CMMI level 0. I am trying to pull them kicking and screaming to level 1.
    CMMI being the capability maturity model the govt requires of contractors to be eligible to bid on contracts and goes from level 1 to level 5.

Many non govt contractors try to follow a similar approach of improving their processes to work faster better easier cheaper more reliably.

The big corporations are at level 5 which is the highest. CMMI lowers govt risk that the bidder can deliver as contracted.
    They risk losing to a higher rated company if they are only 3 or 4. 3 used to be the minimum for contracts we bid on. It may have gone up by now. Our company got rated at level 3 when this started being required and had a process in place to improve all our processes until we ended up at level 5.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.