Listen Bus / PAFL on Fader

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Listen Bus / PAFL on Fader

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tourtelot tourtelot 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thelmuth
    thelmuth
    Participant

I am trying to get the PAFL or Listen Bus assigned to a fader for my control room monitors. I have the monitors connected to the A/B Outputs and the Listen bus is routed there, as well as the L/R Mix, but the only way to control the volume of the monitors when I hit PAFL is with a soft rotary from the touchscreen. I want to be able to control the monitor volume without affecting the main mix.

I found I can set the board to Monitor Mixer and use the L/R Fader to do that, but then I have to add L/R faders on every layer to alwways have access, which is inconvenient and counter-intuitive. I would like to keep the main L/R fader as is and add a listen bus fader to one or two layers. Is this possible?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What model SQ do you have, the SQ6 and SQ7 have assignable soft knobs.

Also what not real elegant but it would be workable, use the headphone out, take a TRS breakout cable that goes into two TS mono connections or wire it to unbalanced XLR into
    your studio monitors.
    How far are your monitors from the mixer?
    I’m assuming your monitors are powered.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the SQ has no fader strip for the listen bus (only master fader)
    but it should be possible to control it with MIDI

on the other hand, why you need the master fader to be present?
    Try this: make the main fader the listen level fader, assign a soft key to the Mix key of the main mix
    this could change the fader assignment to Main if you need it with one button press
    and btw the select on the Main strip should always select the Main channel

I can’t try it at the moment, have no physical console at hand

thelmuth
    Participant

It’s an SQ5. I want to be able to control the headphones and monitors separately. This is in our broadcast room and they mostly mix using headphones, but sometimes need/want the monitors and the video switcher operator would like to hear monitors at a low level. This replaced an X32 which had individual rotaries for the headphones and monitors. We miss that feature.

SteffenR
    Participant

that should go into a feature request šŸ˜‰

thelmuth
    Participant

the SQ has no fader strip for the listen bus (only master fader)
    but it should be possible to control it with MIDI

on the other hand, why you need the master fader to be present?
    Try this: make the main fader the listen level fader, assign a soft key to the Mix key of the main mix
    this could change the fader assignment to Main if you need it with one button press
    and btw the select on the Main strip should always select the Main channel

I have never done anything with MIDI and wouldn’t know where to start.

I suppose we don’t NEED the master fader, just historically it has always been present on every mixer I’ve ever worked with. Your idea intrigues me, I just looked in Mixpad and see how it could be assigned. I will have to try this when I get back to the mixer.

We are new to A&H architecture and there is a bit of a learning curve with the different terminology, etc. We just installed an Avantis as our FOH board, replacing a Yamaha M7CL and are have only begun broadcasting. We started with an X32 in broadcast and quickly replaced it with the SQ5. We needed a few more inputs available and since our techs could be in either location any given week, we thought it would be beneficial to have both boards from the same manufacturer.

thelmuth
    Participant

that should go into a feature request šŸ˜‰

I just posted this in the Feature Requests forum.

SteffenR
    Participant

I just looked in Mixpad and see how it could be assigned.

I’m not sure if the mixer and MixPad act different here…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think I’d probably install a studio controller of some sort. Would give all you want and more in the way of flexible studio monitoring.

I recently put one in a small studio here to give multiple speaker outs, choice of sources, and a direct USB connection to the computer. The built in talkback & output DIM button are both useful too.

Cost us less than a decent pair of headphones.

SteffenR
    Participant

I think Iā€™d probably install a studio controller of some sort. Would give all you want and more in the way of flexible studio monitoring.

no real solution at all

I do mobile broadcast work sometimes
    we use Yamaha QL Series on this
    and there you can completely separate the PFL(Solo) and the monitors

you can decide what you will hear on the monitors, and their is a choice from some options
    and you can ban PFL from the monitors and then PFL is only available in the headphones (or on separate outputs with own fader)
    this would solve so many problems…

to have an independent monitor is very helpful in the audio for video area
    you can always listen to your program (or recording or whatever you choose) and you can control the volume on that without affecting the bus level
    and it is still possible to listen to PAFL without interrupting the monitor signal

this solution would also enable a FOH monitor setup that doesn’t play the PAFL signal to the audience

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m sure that is a better solution Steffen, but QL desks really are a different thing entirely.
    Given the SQ can’t do all that (yet?), a studio controller, set up with a little thought, can add quite a few of those functions to a studio. And for about 1% of the cost of a QL1.

thelmuth
    Participant

I tried assigning a soft key to bring the L/R bus back, but all it does is recall L/R if a different mix is selected, same as hitting the L/R button itself. I ended up setting the board as Monitor mixer and adding a L/R fader on a channel strip. The more I thought about it, I really don’t need a main fader always present. Thanks for helping me think it through.

SteffenR
    Participant

Iā€™m sure that is a better solution Steffen, but QL desks really are a different thing entirely.

but still want no extra device…

the SQ actually will replace some older analog and digital boards
    and at the end it could replace the QL for some situations
    and the features discussed here would allow some more situations without work arounds

Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant
    Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.