Link/sync scene changes between dLive and MainStage using MIDI

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Link/sync scene changes between dLive and MainStage using MIDI

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ThatComplicatedMidiGuy ThatComplicatedMidiGuy 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lposound
    lposound
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m running on a C1500 + CDM32 (fw 1.62 on both of them) and would like to link/sync my dLive scene changes with a MainStage session (where the scenes can be called “patches”)… not just linking the next/go/previous scene functions as cue lists are not the same on both sides.

First, just so you know, I have absolutely no problem at all with MIDI communication and MIDI channels as MainStage instantly recognises any of the dLive MIDI button/switch/fader in “learn” mode. MIDI output from MainStage is also working like a charm… to send values back to the MIDI channels of the desk for example.

Sadly, when it comes to scenes, I wasn’t able to get anything working.
    I read the MIDI implementation document and, even if I don’t understand much, I can already say that my Mac doesn’t see any MIDI message (using “MIDI monitor”) when changing scenes on the dLive… although the document says “Also transmits this message when a Scene is recalled from the dLive screen”.

I will spend some more time these next days to try & error but if any one of you has any thought/idea…

Best,

LOIC

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Scenes from the dLive send bank + prgrm change on Go. Works here with no problems, mainstage patches just needs to be set up with the corresponding program change.

lposound
    Participant

Hi Tor,

Sorry but this is not helping ‘cuz, as I said:

I can already say that my Mac doesn’t see any MIDI message (using “MIDI monitor”) when changing scenes on the dLive… although the document says “Also transmits this message when a Scene is recalled from the dLive screen”.

Do you mind being more specific on your setup?
    – A&H TCP/IP driver setting > do you had to enter manually the IP of your desk or does your network list it in the dropdown menu? I had to go the manual way.
    – Desk MIDI channels > on which range are you? Mine is set on 12 to 16.
    – Audio MIDI setup > do you setup anything special?
    – MainStage “Concert” > what are your concert MIDI settings?
    – MainStage “Patches” > if sending scene ID from MainStage, do you use the attributes “Bank Select” and “Program Change” to match the corresponding dLive scene?

Thanks in advance for your time!
    Best,

LOIC

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Please install Midi Monitor or similar to monitor your midi activity.

I have not changed anything other than set up the TCP/IP driver. In Mainstage, highlight the Patch you want to follow from dlive, go to the Workspace tab and click on Attributes. Tick the box Bank Change and Program Change, for scenes 1-127 bank change should be “1” and Program Change the same as the Scene number you want to match on the dLive.

If you want mainstage to also send to dLive on patch change, then you need to add an External Instrument channel inside each patch, highlight this channel for the specific scene, choose midi output, tick the box for Program Change and Bank Change. Remember that this will be offset by 1, since Program Change 0 will recall Scene 1 on the dLive. For scenes 1-127 Bank Change should be MSB “0” (Bank Change 1), “1” for scenes 128-254 etc etc.

Please do the research, this is all something that can be done with proper testing, and something like Midi Monitor.

lposound
    Participant

Hi Tor,

As I said, I already monitored MIDI signals with MIDI Monitor and I did search so please don’t be too rude (no offense) because, you’ll see, I’m new here but I do not ask anything without searching first 😉 But I do apologise for the lack of concluant testing ‘cuz…

… anyway, I did find the problem! And proper testing was easy peasy: just loading the FOH factory show file.
    Doing that, MIDI signals from scene changes came back.

So, my finding – yes, there is a finding here – is that something important – yet “consistent” – is not documented at all by A&H (official firmware manual and MIDI implementation):
    multisurface showfiles disable all the MIDI communication apart from the MIDI strips controls!

FYI, I first loaded a multisurface showfile to do some testings and find the best workflow for my use.
    I cleaned it up (at least I thought) from any “multisurface related aspect” (roles for example) and kept going with my scenes setup until I discovered my MIDI problem.

Anyway, thanks for your procedure Tor! Any dLive/MainStage user has now details if he needs support on scene changes 😉

Best,

LOIC

@ Ipo – Thanks for the intel! Super useful to know. Though we aren’t using multisurface here, I’d add a biiiig +1 to getting that addressed by A&H!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.