Link Stereo Mixouts to Master L&R Fader

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Link Stereo Mixouts to Master L&R Fader

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AdrianSorlea
    AdrianSorlea
    Participant

Hi,can anyone please help, on qu-16, do you know if it’s possible to link stereo mix outs 5/6-7/8-9/10 to master volume fader? I want to adjust volume of all stereo mix outs same time as the master volume fader.
    Thank you in advance.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Assign all those outputs to a DCA.
    The DCA can be raised and lowered and will basically be a remote controll of all those outputs.
    A DCA does not pass audio, it is just a remote fader that can control numerous faders.

NOTE:
    Even though you will move the DCA up and down, it will not cause the mix output faders to physically move as you would think,

BUT,,,, the audio of all those outputs will be raised and lowered in tandem.

AdrianSorlea
    Participant

Hi dpdan, thank you for your prompt response, ok, i went to DCA group assign and turned on green light for Mix5-6 Mix7-8 Mix9-10 and LR, is that it? now when i turn the master fader up and down it would turn all Mix 7to10 also?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

close but no, πŸ™‚

in order to see the DCA fader, you need to go to the custom layer and place that DCA in the custom layer,
    I use an iPad and leave it sitting on the custom layer page, that way I always have access to it without having to switch away from my L/R mix.

DCAs are wonderful, instead of assigning all your drum mics to a group (which is such a common practice, but horrible).
    With all the drums in a DCA named DRUMS, you can now raise and lower all the drums, and the effects will also be altered as well provided the effects like reverb are post fader. If the drum mics were assigned to a group, the reverb relationship (dry/wet) would change and not be consistent,,, try it. You’ll never want to use a group again. Just remember that a DCA does not pass audio, so you can not place a single compressor, EQ. or some other processing on all those channels like you can with a group.

AdrianSorlea
    Participant

are you talking about custom layers physical button on mixer or is there a custom layer on the actual screen?

AdrianSorlea
    Participant

would it be to much if i ask for step by step instructions?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

in order to move the “ALL MAINS” DCA up and down,
    it will need to reside in a custom layer since there are no dedicated faders for DCAs,,,

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

are you in the USA?
    You could call me.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I just sent you a personal message

AdrianSorlea
    Participant

yes, usa,let me read message

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You know, the User Guide (aka “the Manual”) can be a great help:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_7.pdf

You’ll find information and pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Dick, again you are correct,
    but an old fashioned phone call is oh so much better πŸ™‚

He’s all set

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I know you all love DCA, but why not simply set the mix feeds to post fader in this case?
    Select mix, hold Pre Fade button (on the left) and toggle all SEL buttons so the LEDs are on.
    …page 22 in The Manual, btw. πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Andreas, you said….

Select mix, hold Pre Fade button (on the left) and toggle all SEL buttons so the LEDs are on.
    I think you meant so the LEDs are off.

He is using L/R for mains, with 5-6, 7-8, and 9-10 for stereo delayed systems. He is using post fader on 5-6, 7-8 and 9-10 with all the faders set at 0 db and all set to post. This allows him the luxury of riding faders in the L/R mix and having all of those changes reflected in the three additional stereo outputs, and having separate delay settings.
    One DCA fader to raise and lower ALL the mains is nice, and a DCA is the only way to accomplish that.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

sorry, sure, OFF for post.
    I see, its the output not the channel faders. My bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.