Limiting LR output

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Limiting LR output

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of abzurd1 abzurd1 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

Hi
    I want to set a “limiter” for the LR out.
    So i select the LR and setting the compressor threshold 0db and ratio inf.
    But i realized that this affects only the input singals to the LR, and when i raise the LR fader the output signal “exceeds” 0db.
    Probably this is normal, but is there any way to do it?

ps. i feed active speakers and i don’t have an external processor or limiter so that’s re reason i want it.

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It is simple. Just don’t do that :). You are just creating makeup gain. Leave the master alone unless you need it. Let the comp/limiter handle to signal hitting the mix buss.

Profile photo of dmarin
    dmarin
    Participant

GCumbee yes that’s true but i’m refering to accidentally raise of the LR fader.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Pull the compressor threshold down to -10dB, then the +10dB gain on the fader brings it back to unity…

Personally I’d put a soft knee on it as well, I just prefer the slightly gentler approach to limiting.

Profile photo of abzurd1
    abzurd1
    Participant

FWIW, if you’re just looking not to bump the fader past a certain point, a piece of gaff tape across the main fader track works great.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Like I said just don’t do it. I fly airplanes. There are things you just DON’T touch or move.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

…. A piece of gaffa above a fader… Really? We’re in the digital time now… Moving-Faders!

Agree with GCumbee: Don’t touch it or get another limiter between Qu and the Speakers!

Profile photo of abzurd1
    abzurd1
    Participant

LOL… Yeah, my bad, forgot about that. On my Presonus SL (no flying faders) I did this. The drummer threw a towel across the stage once during setup while mp3’s were playing and happened to hit the master fader perfectly. That’s when I put tape over it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.