Limiting for In Ears Monitors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Limiting for In Ears Monitors

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rschlierbeck rschlierbeck 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rschlierbeck
    rschlierbeck
    Participant

I have just purchased a Shure PSM300 IEM set and I’m wondering if there is a way to set up volume limiting on my Qu-16. I was thinking that I could use the compressor on the mix with a very high ratio. Wondering what other people are using for this?

Jones

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You can do that, but I would highly recommend that you use the P3RA receiver instead of the P3R as the RA has its own limiting specifically engineered for the task.

rschlierbeck
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I do have the P3RA receiver. I guess I’m just trying to be extra careful. Does it make sense to use a limiter on the mix as well as the limiter on the P3RA or is it overkill? I can imagine a situation where feedback or a spike causes the volume to jump several decibels above the normal audio. The limiter on the P3RA sets the limits of the gain/volume knob. I didn’t know if that would also hard limit the actual volume of the unit. I’m interested in other peoples experiences.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

You can activate the compressor on the qu output and give it rather hard ratio.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

A hard limiter on the QU output doesn’t cost you anything, but it is already hard limited to 18dB (0dBFS)…

If they gets hit then all bets are off as to what the DAC and amp will do 😉

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Bob said,
    “then all bets are off”

I enjoy your simple, but accurate wording in your posts 🙂
    Dan

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Would have been more accurate without the typo before it…

If *that* gets hit… (The 0dBFS limit)

rschlierbeck
    Participant

Points are well taken. The limiter on the P3RA is pretty straight forward. What had me confused is that the documentation says it limits the range of volume adjustment. That means to me that I am limiting the loudest “normal” audio peak. But if a spike occurred it could still exceed that level. I guess the trick is to keep the signal going to the transmitter as hot as possible so that even if a spike occurs it can’t exceed the physical limits of the transmitter anyway. Does that make sense?

Or maybe the proper way to gain stage this is to set the mix output to peak around 15dB (-3dBFS, just shy of full scale), set the input gain on the transmitter so that it peaks at about full scale and then set the limiter on the pack accordingly. Just talking my way through this.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The Shure manual is VERY specific about gain staging/setup. Follow their directions to the letter. Then if you need anything else, look to the Qu.

But with proper inputs ( possibly including one/two ambient mics ) and proper gain staging, you should not have to engage anything other than the IEM limiters…unless you really want to monkey with it just to see how it might work.

rschlierbeck
    Participant

I’ve re-read the Shure manual. I’m probably being overly paranoid and all I will need is the built in limiting. Thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.