Limiter for streaming

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Limiter for streaming

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RTD RTD 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RTD
    RTD
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I was wondering how to guys handle streaming on the SQ mixer.

I can’t seem to find a limiter like a Fabfilter L2 in a DAW or the Precision Limiter on the Beheringer X32.

I need a limiter that will always keep my output at -1dB so I won’t be clipping at my stream.

Any solutions? (besides buying a Waves card and use Waves plugins) 😉

Profile photo of Phil Driscoll
    Phil Driscoll
    Participant

For radio broadcasts I use the compressor on the main output with a threshold just below clipping level and a high compression ratio. And, of course, use the faders so that the compressor threshold is never reached unless something unexpected happens.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

I use the on-board limiter on the Main L/R in RMS mode and in parallel compression. Since PC does not protect from OL, I need to be a bit conservative in my output level but I think that could be fixed with a “brick wall” limiter as the last thing in the chain. I think the PC on the SQ sounds mighty good. YMMV.

D.

Profile photo of drc_online
    drc_online
    Participant

In my albeit limited experience this kind of requirement is best met by multistage compression/limiting.
    So put a compressor on the mix bus but then maybe pick up the stream output on a matrix send and put another compressor on the matrix set to infinite ratio, ie a limiter. As to which of the available compressor models to use, I can’t really comment on that.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

I’ve set up multiple groups and a matrix for our live stream to do just this. I find it works pretty well and allows compression to be added in stages exactly as others have suggested. I just use the built-in compressors and am happy with the results. I’m not near the desk to give specifics but I did a reasonable walk-through of the setup for our volunteers which you might find helpful: https://youtu.be/WsTh9L3-vZ0

Mark

Profile photo of RTD
    RTD
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. When I have some time on my hands I’ll have a try and find out what works the best for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.