Lightweight Case?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Lightweight Case?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jimmymio jimmymio 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Any recommendations for a lightweight case for a QU-16? I’d like to avoid the weight and bulk of a full flight case. I know Gator do a plastic case… but it seems to be a design that needs you to remove the mixer for use (ie the two halves of the case are hinged – not detachable). Ideally, I’d like something whereby the mixer can sit in a detachable based (so that there’s a flat surface that can sit on my mixer stand – when I’m using the mixer).
    Thanks.

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

check this case out:

https://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=mixer-flight-cases-for-allen-and-heath-qu-16-8422-9210
    its a custom case that they make to order – I’d be fairly confident that you could have it made from the lighter weight material that they do! I am pricing one tomorrow from them.

My GLD80 case is made from the lighter weight material and its properly light.
    Its actually lighter including the wheels than my friends QU16 case.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I have an older SKB case that I used for my 01V and it also works for the Qu-16. However, it requires some padding be added, because the rack rails can’t sit flush with the perimeter of the case when closed…the back of the Qu is too deep.

Can’t get the link to work…cut and paste this:

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=157&o=&offset=1&c=120&s=81

Profile photo of Northernmonkry
    Northernmonkry
    Participant

We had one made by castle cases. Great quality (same style as the hove spider version) with dog box.

It’s still light enough

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Got mine from swan flight, it’s light and very snug fit so doesn’t rattle around, cost about £150 in black

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

I have the same SKB case as GR_PDX noted above, good point about no padding, wish I’d known about the case from Spider Engineering above! One handy thing about the SKB case, though, is there’s enough room to tuck a recording hard drive underneath the mixer temporarily during a gig.

Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Thanks for all the input, guys. The SwanFlight looks very interesting – as it’s fairly light, compact and has a removable lid.

Jet1968 – does the SwanFlight case’s foam (on the base of the case) interfere with the cooling vents on the QU-16?

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Not at all… I’ll try put a couple of pics up to show you 🙂

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Jet1968, many thanks for the advice and the photos. Looks like a nice case… and, as you say, a good fit. One last question – I’m guessing that when you use the mixer on a gig, you leave it in the base of the case while you’re operating it. Is that correct?

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Yes, just lift off the lid and its ready to use. There are 4 rubber feet on the base too for extra grip should you sit it on a polished surface. When the lid’s on, there’s no movement (rattling) as its such a good fit, so you only need one hand to carry it around.

Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Jet1968… many thanks for all the info.

Profile photo of HansvdL
    HansvdL
    Participant

The Gator Cases GMIX-12PU-TSA case will accept a Qu-16 with rack mount kit fitted. The case has a pup-up mechanism, detachable lid, and TSA latches.
    Although the Gator Cases website doesn’t mention the GMIX-12PU-TSA when you search for Qu-16 cases, I can confirm that it fits, because I have just installed my Qu-16 in one.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

If anyone wants a soft case for local gigs, I got one from https://www.undercovernyc.com/ a while back, and it ia fine for me! Mine was custom fit of my old Soundcraft FX16 and the Qu fits just fine. Inder $100 with side pockets and had sides…

Profile photo of Jimmydrummer
    Jimmydrummer
    Participant

I had this same concern when I ordered my Qu-16. I knew my rack was big, but I wanted to make sure I could leave lots of the mic cables and aux outputs (as well as router) connected during transport. It just makes things quicker for set up, especially with in ear transmitters and radio mics. I’m glad to say it just fits! This is a Gator GRC 12 X 10 PU. Only £175 from Thomann. https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_grc12x10_pu.htm

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.