Library usability issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Library usability issue

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

If I have “Vocal 1” applied to channel 2 and I then go to the library section for channel 2, it shows the last-selected library from whatever channel was last dealt with, not the one that is actually being applied to that channel.

Library name should reflect what is being used on a given selection.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi GR-PDX,

Current behaviour is to store the previously selected item for each given library type (whole channel, gate, comp, etc), and select the last type’s stored index where applicable, if that makes sense? This lets you apply the same libraries to multiple channels efficiently.

DC, A&H

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I guess I understand that, but that is only verifiable if you know what settings are supposed to be applied to the channel. Let me give you a scenario:

1. Set up channel 1 for a snare mic, with a high pass filter set pretty high to eliminate kick bleed. Record and name the library item “snare.”
    2. Set up channel 2 as the kick mic, with its own low pass filter, EQ emphasis, compression, etc. Label this library item “kick.”
    3. Go back to channel 1 with the intent to double-check which set of settings was applied. The library item “kick” is now highlighted, leading one to believe that you now have a low pass filter applied to the snare.

So the way it works now is at best inconvenient, and at worst misleading unless you pay close attention. I think whatever is being applied is what should be highlighted, not whatever was last selected.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

As a rule, if you allow a use to name an item, you should show that name when the item is invoked, and highlight which of the named things is being used in that context if it is part of a list of named things.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It seems to me that most simple thing is for nothing highlighted when you change a channel. You switch channels and library items are listed but not highlighted and appropriate item applied.

Does that idea work? I have not yet looked at it on the console.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

But if you change any of those settings after recall, the library no longer represents what’s on the channel.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I do usability design for a living…not that I am trying to say that I’m the only one here with good ideas, or that I’m always right, but merely to say that I know via user testing of similar things what best practice probably ought to be in this case.

1. “It seems to me that most simple thing is for nothing highlighted when you change a channel. You switch channels and library items are listed but not highlighted and appropriate item applied.” I respectfully suggest that this isn’t optimal. What you describe (no highlighting and no library name shown) should be the case where no stored library item is being applied. It is very helpful to see when an item IS applied, and what it is.

2. “But if you change any of those settings after recall, the library no longer represents what’s on the channel.” True, but in practical use most users will expect that it still points to the majority of the settings, even if one or two have changed. Ideally, the system would prompt the user to ask if they wanted to save the changes to the stored library item. Another good thing to do would be to have a visual cue (different highlight color, icon, or other) to signify that this item is being used, but has been edited.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Ideally, the system would prompt the user to ask if they wanted to save the changes to the stored library item

I think a store button already comes up with a confirm dialog? I wouldn’t want to automatically assume the user wanted to update the library though.

Another good thing to do would be to have a visual cue (different highlight color, icon, or other) to signify that this item is being used, but has been edited.

For me personally, that seems a bit excessive. I’m not that interested in what was last recalled on a channel, that’s been and gone. I’ll probably change the channel parameters an awful lot once I’ve used the library recall start point.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

“I think a store button already comes up with a confirm dialog? I wouldn’t want to automatically assume the user wanted to update the library though.”

Not talking about the existing confirmation. Just that if you edit an existing library item, the user might want to store those edits, and might not realize that they wouldn’t be stored unless they ‘Overwrite’ the existing item. They are not currently prompted either way.

“For me personally, that seems a bit excessive. I’m not that interested in what was last recalled on a channel, that’s been and gone. I’ll probably change the channel parameters an awful lot once I’ve used the library recall start point.”

It would be excessive if it were excessively graphic (Wow!! Fuschia!) or if you were forced to look at it at all times. If it is done subtly and in the list that you only view as needed, I think it would be helpful to most people. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.